BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrighty i have just found out the camshaft sensor is faulty and needs changed i was wondering is there any way of disconnecting the wiring without having to remove the top half of the inlet manifold?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very helpful alot more detail than the haynes manual but i was wondering if it was possible to do it with out removing the inlet manifold but it looks like it will have to come off id better get some gaskets together.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you reach the sensor with your fingers?
yeah its just the connection for the wiring thats the problem as it is somewhere around the back of the inlet manifold and the top has to come off to get at it :jaw-dropping but when i get round to doing this job i might look for a way to shift the connector so if it happens again i wont have to remove the top half of the manifold again

also is there anything else worth doing whilst i have most of the manifold out?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another question the lambda probe is fandangoed does anyone know what make they are e.g. bosch, lucas etc (for a 1.9 m44 engine) asked the wonderful people at calterdon bmw and got told bmw make them because there is a bmw sticker on it they said the same about the spark plugs which turned out to be ngk with a bmw stick and seemed to cost near double the price compared to just normal ngk ones without the sticker

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The sensor has a wire that needs to be pushed in fully and pull sensor downwards IIRC.

You should be able to do it one handed so long as you can get thumb and two fingers on it:thumbsup

My m3 one is exposed. If you'd like to PM me early evening tomorrow I'll get a quick photo and upload so you get an idea of what I'm talking about if you like:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what engine is that a picture of? the camshaft sensor is in a different position on the m44 (front of the engine) and the wire goes through the inlet manfold to somewhere i cant get my hands to because they are too big

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Not sure, I googled it and clicked on images until I found one that you see clearly...

Unfortunately that's as clear as it get's:frown

PM me and I'll definitely get photo for you:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
alrighty i have just found out the camshaft sensor is faulty and needs changed i was wondering is there any way of disconnecting the wiring without having to remove the top half of the inlet manifold?
I'm sure the connection is next to the one for the crankshaft sensor. I had to do one of these on a 316 compact and it can be done if you have patience, tolerance of pain, sticking plasters and thin fingers. As far as I remember I used a long screwdriver and bleeding fingers/wrists. The screwdriver is to pull back the clip to release the plug. You have to be careful as there is a rubber (either clear or blue) seal inside the plug which can fall out and if you don't notice it can compromise the connection.
It can be done, but removing the manifold is easier.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I'm sure the connection is next to the one for the crankshaft sensor. I had to do one of these on a 316 compact and it can be done if you have patience, tolerance of pain, sticking plasters and thin fingers. As far as I remember I used a long screwdriver and bleeding fingers/wrists. The screwdriver is to pull back the clip to release the plug. You have to be careful as there is a rubber (either clear or blue) seal inside the plug which can fall out and if you don't notice it can compromise the connection.
It can be done, but removing the manifold is easier.

I'm sure you push the clip in:confused

Am I gonna have to go and check right now???:shifty:

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I think you're right
I am:rofl

Just checked both sensors and they push in:hihi

Looking closer you probably used screwdriver to pull sensor down as doing one handed my be an absolute mare with the manifold on.

I'll see if I can upload photo's as I took some whilst I was out there:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info guys but after trying already with the manifold still attached and cutting my hand in about 5 places ive decided im going to have a go at taking the manifold off ive ordered the gaskets and should have them on thursday and all going well (meaning gsf have sent me the right sensor) should have it done on thursday night

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alrighty
ive just finished changing the sensor it took me about 30-45 mins. i found out there is no other way of removing the connection without taking off the top half of the inlet manifold. there is a c clip which has to be pushed in and the connection has to be pulled out at the same time, also on my one there wasn't any seals on the connection (unless it has been done before and the seal has gone missing).
there is a o-ring on the sensor its self that has to be reused as i was not supplied with a new one.
i took some pics i will post later
she seems to be running alright now will see how she goes over the next couple of days.
A20 the pic of the sensor you put up is different to mine the connection is different aswell.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1996 e36 318is m44 camshaft sensor FIXED!!!!

here is the crackshaft and camshaft sensor connections camshaft is the one on the left. the clip needs to be pushed in and the connection pulled out at the same time

there is 2 gaskets to be replaced above and below this plate i put a wee smear of grease as well

the small hose for the fuel pressure regulator might snap mine did just cut it and threw it back on

the bolt and the 2 nuts on the top that need to be removed

and the one hiding in the back of the manifold, it can be accessed without removing anything

although it is tight

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.