BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had new wishbones new bushes tracking done new track rods new track rod ends.

I also had one new front tyre fitted. After all this my new tyre was rubbing on full lock. I thought it was because I had one new tyre and one old but I'm only running 17's. I looked today and from the front with both wheels pointing forward it looks as though one wheel sits more in the arch than the other.

What could have caused this and what can I do to put it right?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
is the top of the wheel further in the arch?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's not the camber. I had it all laser tracked. I even took it back so they could check and everything is spot on. I jus put it down to a new tyre. The whole wheel is about 20mm further into the arch.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
No it's not the camber. I had it all laser tracked. I even took it back so they could check and everything is spot on. I jus put it down to a new tyre. The whole wheel is about 20mm further into the arch.
Take a picture to show us... that will be the easier option...

The only thing I can think of is.... that you got the wrong tyre size...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I take it that you have not got staggered (front/rear combo) and that someone has not mixed one rear with one front!

Dunk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Check the wheel that is sticking out further and check that you do not have spacers fitted (previous owner?) and that the garage has just not refitted it?
I would also check wheel part numbers against each other.

Dunk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having a wrong sied tyre will not make the alloy sit 20mm further into the arch. There are no spacers, i fitted all of the new stuff to the front end myself. The wheels are the same as they have always been, i havnt changed from the standard bmw split rims. they didnt rub before and now the one with the new tyre does.
They are not staggered, plain 17's all round.

I think it must be something to do with a aprt i changed but i dont even know where to start.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
so all the wheels are the same size and all with the same size tyres on but 1 wheel at the front sits 20mm more into the arch. You said you only had that 1 wheel done at the tyre place and your certain there isnt a spacer.

What alloys do you have on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
are they genuine BMW alloys?If so take them off and check what the ET is.This will be a number stamped on the back,all 4 alloys if not staggered should have the same ET-I have a feeling that one is different to all the others,possibly a replacement

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ALL wheels are the same. they were fine before i replaced all the wishbones etc and before the new tyre.
They are genuine BMW BBS RC 041 17" Split Rim Alloy Wheels.
There are NO spacers, there never has been and there never will be.
They are not staggered.
The wheels have not been swapped side to side or front to back.

I did say all this in post 7.

Im pretty sure it has to be something to do with either the ball joints, wishbones, or control arms, but what?

its like someone has picked the front of the car up off of the chassis and moved it over 20mm and now its rubbing.

Very strange.

Might just have to go and get two new lower profile tyres or just never use full lock!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
you ordered all the parts yourself right? Double check that you ordered the right ones it may sound silly but still worth a check...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah they are all the right ones. I think I'm just going to have to get under it and have a good look. Then get a new tyre.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you got any pics yet as we can only guess whats wrong as just saying the whole wheel is sitting 20mm deeper into the arch isnt a good starting point and also impossible unless there was a 20mm spacer there before hand or a major car crash and a new tyre will not make a wheel sit 20mm deeper into the arch unless you have gone really over the width size which i doubt you have.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If your sure its not a spacer thats missing, then all you can do is take measurements on the good side between some fixed points. Thing is your kinda saying the whole hub/strut/control arm setup has moved which unless its been twatted by something, is highly unlikely!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would be a bit sceptical it was the tyre. Drop a plumbline from the top of the arch on both sides and measure the distance to the center of the wheel, IF! you have a 20mm difference then you have a serious roadworthyness issue! IF!?! the difference is only at the top and bottom of the tyre then you have a set-up issue!

Dunk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Oh! bye the way, if you feel that people are questioning your mechanical knowledge/ability then you have to put yourself in our position! You have stated a problem which can ONLY! be logically resolved (Remotely ie. internet forum), and when we ask have you checked this or that, we have to assume that you have actually checked and not assumed!

We are ONLY! trying to HELP:thumbsup

Dunk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts