BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to upgrade my alternator from the standard 80amp to a bigger one.
Has anyone on here done this. At the moment I'm running 3 amps and they will cut out every time I press the windows switch or the door is closed and the window pops up. The alternator is maxes out and I plan on adding hids but can't until I get more power from the engine.

I don't want to split charge, there are so many reasons this doesn't work and I have posted about why this shouldn't be done before.

Power caps don't increase amps they just deliver power quicker.

I have to upgrade the standard alternator. I have done it on another car before but not on a BMW.

What alternator will be a direct fit?

Did anyone encounter any problems as I know there is a difference between the Bosch and the velo alternators.

I need to find someone with a 318is with a big system who upgraded their alternator and the wrack their brains

Thank you

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'd start by checking realoem to find your alternator PN, do a cross reference to see which engines/models it fits, and see if a bigger one was available for the bigger engines or the overseas versions.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I read your previous post below and saw that you were pointed to me. I'm afraid that info was incorrect, I haven't done the conversion, in fact I don't even have a 318is!

[URL]http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f17/1996-e36-m42-318is-what-cars-had-the-t73647/[/URL]

I've had a good look around the web and if anyone has done this they don't seem to have posted the results. Looks like you will have to be the pioneer!

Please take loads of pics and post a how to to help others who are considering this upgrade.

·
Registered
59 Posts
why is your 3amp fused max out for?? what have you added to keep blowing it?? if it because of your stereo, and your running amps, you should really put in a seporate feed?? If you haven't added anything to the car and its all standard, you have a load issue somewhere and putting a big alternator on it isn't the answer.. But if you have a kick arse ice sytem, a bigger alternator (B261, think its 110 amps) and power caps our a must!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a fuse that's blowing. I'm running 3 amplifiers and everytime I do anything there is a dip in the music because there isn't enough amplitude to power all the amps and electric windows and so on. So the only thing to do to do the job properly is to upgrade the alternator to a bigger one. But no one has done it on a 4 pot engine only on the 6 pot. I see no reason y it can't be done I will have to fabricate some pretty exacting brackets though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will put a cap in if needed after the battery but there seems to be some misconception that a cap will stop dimming lights and the such this isn't try. A cap jus stores power. If I'm drawing anywhere near 80amps then the battery wnt charge as quick as I'm using the power. Big ice systems need big power, not a device that stores the current power and delivers it in one big dose. Looks like a job for the summer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know. But still 3 amps. All I know is that even with no amps pressing up on the window button drops the rpm slightly. Doing this with the amps on causes a drop in volume and for them to even turn off. Its possible that the alternator is original and is not as efficient as it used to be.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The motor current for the window will be a surge followed by constant drain at a lower level. How low I don't know because it would depend on the age and condition of the window regulator. Maybe 80%, maybe 60%?

Have you considered using lithium grease on the windows?

BTW my revs wobble a bit after the windows are raised too. Maybe a cap at the ZKE?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
what about fitting some power caps?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think maybe a new alternator and some upgraded wiring might do the trick. But I'll wait until the summer.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This weekend I just stripped and cleaned and regreased my window regulator. Not only is it much faster and smoother, it also uses less current to get moving. One possible idea.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Dose it with WD40 and wipe down with a rag to remove all the old shit grease, and lather it with lovely new grease. I replaced the white sliders too, which you can do without drilling out the 4 concrete rivets holding in the regulators.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts