BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first BMW after much persuasion from the Japanese "Darkside" by my best mate. :thumbsup

1.9L M44B19 putting out 142 bhp (106 kW; 144 PS) and 133 ft·lbf (180 N·m) of torque from factory.

This though already came to me chipped boasting 164 bhp

The first 4 pictures were from when i first got it.
Not in bad knick, only major problem to me externally was the bonnet emblem was missing. :eek

1st Job: Bonnet Roundel Install

2nd Job: Front Left Side Wheel Bearing & Hub Replacement

3rd Job:Upgraded Headlights to OSRAM Nightbreakers
BEFORE

AFTER

4th Job: Replace OEM Rear Lights with M3 Clears to be installed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plans...

i think an OEM m-tech look is on the cards to be honest.

It's quite ratty in places so its all about choosing what to do when and how to do it best with the budget.

Quick list of things I'd like to get done;

1.Mtech/Evo Front Bumper with Splitter
2.Fix Arch Rust
3.Re-Paint Grills
4.Possible Colour Coded or Black Sun-strip (mainly because head liner is peeling back
5.Big Bore Throttle Body
6.Get Exhaust System checked out, the guy i got the car from gave me receipts for all sorts but to be honest I don't believe the receipt for a full stainless.
7. Source an OEM BMW glove box cup holder
8. Get Alloys Repolished/Chromed or Replaced
9.New Number Plates with Upgraded Xenon Lights in Tailgate

there's probably a load more...suggestions welcome

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Osram Nightbreakers

Looking good mate, Osram Nightbreakers and the "new" Nightbreaker Plus really are an excellent alternative to HID's - top quality bulbs IMHO:D
I was going to go for some 6000K to 10000K HIDS, but i read up and apparently its best to get projector headlight housings because HIDS have been known to heat the original headlights and sometimes melt them. I didn't know how close to home that information was but i tell you what, after going osram, id never go back to any halfords stocked stuff or dare i say it, ebay bulbs ha-ha

·
Registered
6,989 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
osram against hid conversation

I have projector lenses in my M3 and even bought some headlight shrouds ready for a HID conversion, after I tried these I was so impressed that I extended the purchase to cover my E91 as well - a nice, quick, cheap and road legal modification.:thumbsup

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...-thread-fixed-drivers-seat-t53057/page13.html

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f125/2008-bmw-e91-330-m-sport-osram-nightbreakers-t74904/
i totally agree that they are worth a try before shelling out for HIDS.
Obviously they arent as bright and you cant get that fantastic blueish colouring but i like them.

P.S. kev i pm'd you with another "stupid question" i fixed it, i completely ignored the button saying use uploaded signature haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M3 Lights, Crankshaft Sensor, Clock Bulb

To be honest this week has been quite a week as far as the Coupe is concerned.
Since last Friday it has been with bmw having some fault finding after i couldn't drive it past 3000RPM.

So.... while I waited for some results.....

I bought some M3 Couple Rear Lights on eBay before the weekend and Monday night I went in my mates 325 M-technic Coupe
to Nottingham to pick them up. Good times. Seeing as the car was already in with BMW, Tuesday morning i took the lights
over so they could fit them during the time it was there.
(crap phone pictures at the moment but will get round to some better pictures once i can give her a good clean when the rain holds off) :cool

M3 Clear Lights DONE

A week later after being taken to BMW and the Coupe is back up and running like it should.
The faults recorded were; 1 crankshaft sensor 2 misfire some to exhaust gas 3 Misfires cylinder 1, 3, 2, 4, 4 & Knock Sensors 1 & 2.
So they suggested replacing Crankshaft Sensor which they say seems to have solved the rev range problem and now its just misfiring on cylinders 2 & 3.
So looks like a service will be due sooner than i thought. Also very happy with the new rear lights :)

Finally to treat myself so i didn't have to keep turning the map reading lights on at night to see the time.
I bought a BMW analogue clock bulb for £1.74 haha :silly ROBBERY, but so worth it.

Analogue Clock Light DONE

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned, Cracked, Sparked!

Friday I Washed, Polished, Waxed the car

Did a pretty good job, if i do say so myself

Saturday I took the Girlfriend to Crufts at NEC Birmingham
Where unfortunately a woman decided to rear end me.

But it doesn't look too bad, the womans insurance company called me today and they
are paying for repair/replacement, so i'm a very happy chappy ;)

Finally, replaced the spark plugs to see if it helps
the car run better and maybe clear up the misfiring faults

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
ummm just a thought, you said the car was "chipped"?

through my findings on mapping a M44 iS, I was deflected against chipping the car mainly because it ruins the engine in the long run.....

Other than that, liking it a lot! :hihi
Makes me miss my boston green iS... :frown

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

through my findings on mapping a M44 iS, I was deflected against chipping the car mainly because it ruins the engine in the long run.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Unfortunately the chip was not my idea, i havent really done much research into the advantages/disadvantages. to be frank this will be my daily/project for the next couple years and then i will more than likely replace it with something different but probably still BMW. So long life doesnt really play a part.

thanks for the heads up though!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Maan! You cleaned your car too well.. maybe that woman was doing a makeup from your rearbumpers reflection... :rofl

Well you never know from them! :silly

But anyway. great looking motor. How do you find your iS performance-wise as it has a chip inside? Have you tried one without?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
shining with speed

Maan! You cleaned your car too well.. maybe that woman was doing a makeup from your rearbumpers reflection... :rofl

Well you never know from them! :silly

But anyway. great looking motor. How do you find your iS performance-wise as it has a chip inside? Have you tried one without?
HaHa i love keeping my car clean, i think it shows people that you care about how you look :)

haha the idea that the woman got distracted by the reflection would be fine but she was about 112 lol :silly

Thanks for the compliments.
I really would like to try an unchipped 318is.
for me this was an upgrade from previous JAP cars including nissan almera 1.5, honda civic eg 1.5 and a honda civic 1.6 vtec so its faster for me but unfortunatley i have no grounds for comparison. Might check out some figures of standard 0-60 etc tonight :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts