BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.. just ordered a cone filter off ebay.. (i know.. hot air and all that haha)
just wondering where the air temperature sensor would go? ive noticed that a lot of you have got universal filters... where did you put it?
many thanks :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I think you mean the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor.

This must remain in position where it is else the ECU won't be able to adjust the air mix and the car will drink fuel and run like crap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no not the maf mate. its attatched to the actual air box on the m44 engine.. ill get a pic tomorrow :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My friends, he is talking about the IAT sensor (intake air temp)...no.11 on his car.

OP, some good cold intake kits will utilise this sensor, but I've come across people zip tying it somewhere in the engine bay or bypassing it with a resistor to give a constant temp. The other thing you could do is fit a custom heat shield for the induction kit and fit the sensor within that set up.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Is it wise to use the resister mod though ? I mean the sensor is there for a reason isn't it. If I was adding an induction kit to my car I would make sure it was for the car and not some universal crap. :thumbsup Good luck though. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it wise to use the resister mod though ? I mean the sensor is there for a reason isn't it. If I was adding an induction kit to my car I would make sure it was for the car and not some universal crap. :thumbsup Good luck though. :)
That's 'some' people mate...I wouldn't do it personally :hihi. Besides, I would stick with a standard filter as well, but that's just me :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's 'some' people mate...I wouldn't do it personally :hihi. Besides, I would stick with a standard filter as well, but that's just me :D
Yea mine had some daft thing on it when I bought it with the sensor just hanging on a tie wrap :hihi even though the filter housing had the hole for it :confused

I removed it anyway and put on an original air box. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
So where is the best place to put it... I am guessing on the intake pipe... as I am getting a univeral Cone....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Needs to be installed in with the cone ideally or in with the pipe work, it should read the passing air entering into the engine inlet manifold.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't know which sensor you're talking about, as (in the M50 at least, so I reckon the M4x should be similar) there are 2 of them.

One is the IAT, which is placed somewhere in the underside of the intake manifold and it reads the temp for the air going into the engine.

The second, is placed in the air box and it reads the air temp outside. It's not necessarily a temp sensor, more like a temp switch connected between 2 water hoses, and IIRC its role it's to open/close the water circuit going through the TB.

I reckon when it's cold outside, it will open the water circuit, heating the TB and when it's warm, it will close it.

Anyway, if it's the switch, you can buy pipes with a dedicated slot for it, like the one in the pic.

If it's the IAT, just drill a suitable hole in the cone base and fit it there.

Reactions: MONSTER
1 - 14 of 14 Posts