BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ever since i had my coilovers I've had nothing but trouble:mad just been out and yet again one of the rear top mounts popped again.(3rd time) same corner,and in other threads I've mentioned rubbing issues,clinking sound,just plain pain in the ass.. i have the old springs still,just looked and one is longer than the other??? i want to put standard shocks back on,but keep the front coilovers on to see whats what,could this cause problems?i was thinking it would look weird like a bad wedge shape!can i drive for a little like it till i can get the parts? would it be ok to keep the front as is(coilovers),and standard shocks on rear with lowering springs on to bring the look down to match? sorry for all the questions but would be grateful right now for some of your knowledge on this,tell me what options i have with what i have right now? oh and does anyone have any standard shocks and lowering springs,that they have since upgraded?or either one of them..help..

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Regardless of lowering springs or not, if the springs compress to a height where the shocks are holding the weight of the car you will always destroy the mount as the shock on shortest length is basically a solid iron bar pushing on a little rubber bush.

Or did you mean the spring had come off it's mount around a corner? Probably the inside spring in that case? In which case the shocks are too long allowing the inside wheel to drop far enough to unseat.

If your car had an MOT like this and the spring unseated with the suspension hanging the tester would fail it, which basically says all you need to know about if you should be driving it if that is the case.

Basically you should err on the side of safety and not drive your car if you are in doubt about its safety. Then seek professional or competant opinion.

Reactions: jjbbuzz

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regardless of lowering springs or not, if the springs compress to a height where the shocks are holding the weight of the car you will always destroy the mount as the shock on shortest length is basically a solid iron bar pushing on a little rubber bush.

Or did you mean the spring had come off it's mount around a corner? Probably the inside spring in that case? In which case the shocks are too long allowing the inside wheel to drop far enough to unseat.

If your car had an MOT like this and the spring unseated with the suspension hanging the tester would fail it, which basically says all you need to know about if you should be driving it if that is the case.

Basically you should err on the side of safety and not drive your car if you are in doubt about its safety. Then seek professional or competant opinion.
na springs are seem fine on the other side,always the one side that goes,i was suspecting the shock? i told them who i got it from,and they said there waiting for stock and get back to me. yea right, months ago..!i put a new mount on,and just gone again? on original post can you answer any of the other ?questions?

·
Registered
221 Posts
you can use the coil overs on the front fine.

you can use the standard shock on the rear with a set of lowering springs no lower than 40mm

you will need to set the same height at the front to the rear (i will get the measurements for you)

can you adjust the damping on the front?

if its a stiff shock up front and a soft standard at the rear you will get tons of grip and not drifting.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Your still having issues... wow! :eek sorry to hear buddy :frown

1. have you checked the bolts all connected to the sus in the rear? (might cause the knocking)
2. are you using the standard mounts? (on the rear)
3. I'm guessing the front is still fine?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your still having issues... wow! :eek sorry to hear buddy :frown

1. have you checked the bolts all connected to the sus in the rear? (might cause the knocking)
2. are you using the standard mounts? (on the rear)
3. I'm guessing the front is still fine?
how you doing bud:thumbsup.. yea been crap to be honest,worst buy so far.. yea i want to go back to standar on this car now..might take the front off to somewhere down the line.i will see, but really need to get some standard shocks for the front(dont suppose ya kept yours) and some lowering springs? mate we will have to meet up.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
how you doing bud:thumbsup.. yea been crap to be honest,worst buy so far.. yea i want to go back to standar on this car now..might take the front off to somewhere down the line.i will see, but really need to get some standard shocks for the front(dont suppose ya kept yours) and some lowering springs? mate we will have to meet up.
Yeah I'm good buddy :silly defo have to sort something out in the very near future. My car is off the road at the mo with getting it ready to PASS :hihi the MOT.

A solution might be to get rouge mounts into the rears, like I had. It also might be cheaper to do as well looking at it overall. are you still having issues with the fronts, or are the solid?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Justin I got your message earlier but was driving, The shocks are far too hard on these coilover kits. I do have a good set of Bilstien B6 rear dampers if you are interested, I do have a set of Eibach rear lowering springs as well sat here mate, the rear springs are 20mm lower.....:thumbsup

I got rid of my coilovers and went to Bilstein B6 shocks and OEM 328i sport springs, and replaced all the powerflex bushes with OE. The car now rides better and handles better than coilovers. You dont get a big drop but I would rather have the better handling and better ride quality. The car does not jump and crash on bumps in the road now, and is so much easier keeping it in a straight line...:)

·
DO NOT send this user ANY Money. Under investigati
103 Posts
ive had exactly the same problem on the drivers side rear of mine been through 2 mounts so far but now ive sorted it what i did was got a new standard mount and on the underside of it i made a plate out of 3mm steel and cut it to the same shape as the mount and drilled a hole in the centre for the shock to go through and so far its been fine and i have my rear on the lowest setting with no adjusters in it might be worth giving it a try

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive had exactly the same problem on the drivers side rear of mine been through 2 mounts so far but now ive sorted it what i did was got a new standard mount and on the underside of it i made a plate out of 3mm steel and cut it to the same shape as the mount and drilled a hole in the centre for the shock to go through and so far its been fine and i have my rear on the lowest setting with no adjusters in it might be worth giving it a try
to be honest mate i have z3 strengtheners on already, that wont never stop the rubber popping out of the mount ,that piece don't work like that im to believe.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Justin I got your message earlier but was driving, The shocks are far too hard on these coilover kits. I do have a good set of Bilstien B6 rear dampers if you are interested, I do have a set of Eibach rear lowering springs as well sat here mate, the rear springs are 20mm lower.....:thumbsup

I got rid of my coilovers and went to Bilstein B6 shocks and OEM 328i sport springs, and replaced all the powerflex bushes with OE. The car now rides better and handles better than coilovers. You dont get a big drop but I would rather have the better handling and better ride quality. The car does not jump and crash on bumps in the road now, and is so much easier keeping it in a straight line...:)
I find the rears are hard as buggery! I used the standard shocks with the coilover springs and adjusters and it seemed much more subtle. Might go back to them tbh..

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
yea that was fitted...!
If you missed out number 7 the step on the shocker will cut through number 6 and push the rubber out but you should notice then 6 has slid down and is pushing on the bump stop as yo have wayyyyyyyyy too much rod out of the top.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
with my fk's on the rear I used the standard shocks with the coilover springs and adjusters had no problems at all.
seems the better way as most people gets problems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts