BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello peolpe got an e36 318is 1996 on friday and the acelerate pedal seems to stick hard work when your setting of from a hill and need to tweak the pedal. this one just goes pop cause its sticking and the engine screams lol ive looked at throttle wire and stuff and tried to wd40 them but stilll doing it any ideas cheers:confused

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi, i have a 96 e36 compact and its doing exactly the same. i got a feeling its the actual pedal itself sticking and not the cable. have tried to remove the accelerator pedal a few times to clean it but failed :(

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
hi, i have a 96 e36 compact and its doing exactly the same. i got a feeling its the actual pedal itself sticking and not the cable. have tried to remove the accelerator pedal a few times to clean it but failed :(
The accelerator pedal is an absolute mare to remove if you have never done one before:frown

This would be a good "How To" opportunity, unfortunately I've not long locked my car up and put my tools away:thumbsup

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mine does this, I assure you its not the pedal! Its the throttle body. Take off the small cover over the throttle linkage assembly on the inlet manifold, with the igntion off, open the throttle wide, then let go so it slams shut. See if it sticks when you try to open it next time, im pretty sure it will. You'll need to remove the throttle body from the inlet manifold & give it a good clean with some carb spray or something similar!

·
Registered
18 Posts
have you checked the return spring at the top of the accelerator pedal, mine is broken, my pedal doesnt always stick unless its sat in one position for a while(like the motorway). i havent got around to fixing mine yet. Just a thought.

·
Registered
566 Posts
LGB, I'd say you must be right. gona giv this a try, cos my accel pedal does the same, and i did inspect my throttle body a few days ago, and it is sticky. Wanted to clean it, I just didnt have the time to do the job on that day. Didnt know that may be the cause for the sticky pedal (which your right in saying, is a pain in the ar**), but it makes sense.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Compact 1.9l was doing similar but only in stop start traffic. It would be like the pedal would not move then it would go to far(too many revs)and the car would kangaroo making me look like a novice.I too thought it was the cable/throttle pedal but it was not.
As LGB says clean the throttle body-the butterfly sticks on the carbon build engine side.
Now mine is perfect nice and smooth pulling away:thumbsup

Hope this helps

Boyo

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i cleaned my throttle and it still did it but after few days it eased off the 2 small screws in the middle of the disc i losened off them slammed it shut and it seemed to have centred itself cause it was catching on one side like it was off centre it worked anyway and i tightened them back up cheers for all help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.