BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 316i - head removal(FIXED)

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ronnie 
#1 ·
Hi all

Can anybody body advise me on the best way too remove cylinder head, on 316i E36 engine and do i require any specialized tools.Head is going for skim and compression test.Im also looking too purchase a new rad,any suggestions on where to find rads at bargin prices.

#4 ·
It won't be to hard, just get a haynes are you away ! disconnect the inlet hoses and exhaust, off with the cam cover after draining the water and oil (if it needs changed !) undo the head bolts (outside-in a quarter turn at a time) disconnect ancillaries and lift off the head !

Maybe simplified a bit but that's the basics. Just make sure you do the head bolts in the right sequence and get your bolts torqued properly as you go. A haynes will tell you all you need to know.

good luck !

#7 ·
Yes m8.Took car in had miss fire,put it on computer nothing electrical showing so they said, could be sticking valve.Try a petrol treatment,see if that works.Tried the forte branded cleaner.Twenty minutes later radiator popped.Quote was for head gasket and new radiator.I rang round can get head skimmed and tested for 50 plus vat.So doing it myself and been on GSF website priced up gaskets and other bits required.Head now off and ready go for test first Monday morning, hope to ave car back on road next weekend running.Thats the plan anyway.Only tool i've had to buy, was torx socket for head bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.