BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Right, I bought and have been working on getting a crash damaged car back on the road. On close expection it looks like I will need to change the steering column, have a donor car so not worried about parts. Planning to go at this tomorrow so thought I would check to see if anyone here has any pointers or things to watch out for in doing this job

Cheers,

John

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
You will need to drill out the sheer bolts that secure the column in place.

What ignition barrell will you be using? I ask because there was a difference between my 318is and the M3 donor that I was swapping:thumbsup

Be sure to have the wheels straight when removing the column. The splines of the column where it loins to the UJ that attaches to the rack have to go in to a certain point to enable you to get the bolt that tightens it back in fully;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick responce.

My donor car is a '94 316 so hopefully the ignition on my '96 will fit....

This is not really a job I wanted to do but can't put it off any longer as the car should be good to go back on the road at the end of the weekend, fingers crossed.

Will have to post a project thread when i'm done, it's been a steep learning curve but loving it. Here's a pic as I bought it...

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Does your car have this???

If not, the other will and the barrel and housing will need swapping too:thumbsup

1994 is normally non EWS and after 1995 they have EWS so this may take a while. I had to swap the complete looms over because there was no wiring for EWS in my 1992 318is but there was in the 1995 M3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah crap!!! Yeah the '96 has it...not sure about the donor '94...
Might be a bigger job than I was counting on...good thing it's a long weekend :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a thought, would it be easier to swap out the steering shaft and keep the column to avoid having to change looms etc. ???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One down one to go!!

Who ever thought that shear bolts were a good idea deserves a good kicking, took me at least two and a half hours to get the two bolts out to free the column. Once past that obstacle the rest was fairly straight forward. Here's a pic of the aftermath...

I do have one question though, how is the ignition barrel housing removed from the column??

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
One down one to go!!

Who ever thought that shear bolts were a good idea deserves a good kicking, took me at least two and a half hours to get the two bolts out to free the column. Once past that obstacle the rest was fairly straight forward. Here's a pic of the aftermath...

I do have one question though, how is the ignition barrel housing removed from the column??

:lol Great fun aren't they:hihi:lol

I would've warned you but I didn't want to spoil the surprise and put you off:rofl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I was expecting them to be a pain but I really did under estimate just how much:banghead I decided not to drill them out but instead drilled a 3mm hole in the face and used a centre punch to tap it out. Works really well except it is very hard to get the right angle due to the space restrictions....

Any advice on how to remove the ignition barrel housing?!?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Yeah, I was expecting them to be a pain but I really did under estimate just how much:banghead I decided not to drill them out but instead drilled a 3mm hole in the face and used a centre punch to tap it out. Works really well except it is very hard to get the right angle due to the space restrictions....

Any advice on how to remove the ignition barrel housing?!?

Been a while since I removed mine:confused

I can check tomorrow though as I still have access to it and should easily remember how much of a PITA that was too :rofl

IS that not sheer bolts too? I can't remember without looking;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers for all the help guys. Got this job finished today and have to say of all the jobs I have done on this project so far this has to have been the biggest pain in the arse!!!!

And needless to say I did not refit using shear bolts :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts