BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

First want to say thanks for a great site and lost of help already received from other posts. I am new to the site and to working on engines, so please bear with me.

I recently bought a '96 316i coupe with blown head gasket (know it's crazy but felt confident I could fix this). With the help of the site and a Haynes manual I have taken the top off, had it skimmed and pressure tested. Fitted new head gasket and put all together again.

This worked great, after sorting some initial airlock problems in cooling system, but now I have a problem with the idling. The car now shudders as if it has a block in the fuel delivery system. This is pretty constant although decreased on high revs. I have added Wynn's injector cleaner, to no avail. I have also checked all hoses for cracks or leaks, have seen none.

As I mentioned, I am new to engine repair so do not really know where start looking. Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Idle Control Valve may need cleaning (worked for me), Check Oil Filler Cap. Also lambda sensor can cause rough idle.

May be an idea to get the codes read and ask some of the guys on here.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Any engine breather pipes, vacuum pipes or induction pipes that are split will give you running problems, so like mentioned you should have a good check :cool

Also if the headgasket went BIG time then the lambda sensor may have got silicon poisoning from the Antifreeze that got burnt in the combustion chamber, so if it is the original lambda (O2) sensor then I would look into getting a new one soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the help:thumbsup.

Cleaned the idle control valve and oil filler cap seems fine. Will need some time to recheck all the hoses properly. Also I haven't replaced the Lambda sensor so will order one.

Will let know if this fixes the problem:eek:ptimist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.