BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

jist finished work on putting the new head on the m43 engine in the Bm... had severallll problems... Long story short and 12 hours later:rofl ive gone to start it and the waterpupm decided to pack up.. so i started it for litraly like 50 sces to let the oil get round but its making a haorrible tapping noise.

Now the tappets i used were off a lower milage car and my own ( which were still good) but obviosly mine had been running and had oil in up to that point, and was being used on a daily basis.

Now...how long do i have to run the engine for, for the tappeds to prime themselves full off oil? and get rid of that awful sound!

Will sort out the water pump before i do any more running...Just wanted to make sure it would run.. as its just had 1mm taken off the head and been ported:jaw-dropping

Anyways any help much apriciated.

Cheers:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If it's just idling, I don't think they'll ever prime, if they were completely off. Just rev the car up to 4-5k for 5 sec, tappets will get quiet immediatly.

·
Registered
390 Posts
if you only had the car on for a few seconds after the head install then I wouldnt make too much worry out of it, get the water pump fixed, run the car for a little bit, let the engine oil get everywhere and then see how it goes from there, good luck though :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
They can take a few seconds, should prime, I wouldn't thrash it to 5k with them being low on oil thought, just hold it at 2k for a few mins. The noise is horrendous though, my dad changed the cambelt on this volvo then turned the engine over by hand about 10 times to make sure it was all timed up, and that must have drained the oil from them, and when he started it there was a savage noise and his face was a picture as he thought it was the sound of 20 valves being lunched.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's just idling, I don't think they'll ever prime, if they were completely off. Just rev the car up to 4-5k for 5 sec, tappets will get quiet immediatly.

i did drive it up the road for about 1min beforre i heard the water pump go.. then rolld back... tonly took it to 3k though.

ill have to get the water pump in and get ot ho to prime them i think

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts