BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need help please!

Bought my 316, lovely car, great nick for 180k on the clock, engine is lovely :)

But after gettin it back, today on the way to the local garage (which ended up being shut) to get my tracking done cos the numpties replaced the front left balljoin and bush but didnt track it nd its out by miles!
Anyway, there is a terrible squilling/whining noise coming from the rear right, its very noticible when going slow but faids away when I go faster. Its a rotating noise (its louder only at 1 point of the rotation).
As soon as I got back, had the car jacket up: no marks under wheel arches because i thought it might have been a tyre rubbin of the arch. There was no marks on the halfshaft gators, no play in the shaft either. Took the drum off, the pads seem fine and so is the drum. Bearing has no play.
Span the wheels while jaket up in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear and the noise isnt there. BUT as soon as its off the jack and i start pulling away, the noise is bacK!
read about here and most threads i found with a similar fault, no end conclusion :frown

Somebody please help!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
emmm no mate. I just drove to work and back and the noise is still when im goin bout 70, its jst quiter cos the wheels spin faster. But I noticed the noise going away when I turn left. And it also seem to go a bit quiter when Im just freewheeling.
Cud it be a bearing? Im pretty positive its not the breaks cos they seem fine when I took the drum off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye i have mate, nowt was rubbin. turned out to be the bearing. all replaced now :D went to a garage nd they wanted 60 quid to replace the bearing but ended up doin it maself with help of the wise father haha :D

cheers for help tho lads:thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Aye i have mate, nowt was rubbin. turned out to be the bearing. all replaced now :D went to a garage nd they wanted 60 quid to replace the bearing but ended up doin it maself with help of the wise father haha :D

cheers for help tho lads:thumbsup
Good to hear :thumbsup

How did you get the bearing out?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heat torch for about 15 mins on the the trailing arm where the bearing is housed, then a hammer and a big socket :D
but the old bearing fell apart when the hub got taken out so the old outer race was used to hammer (tap ish) the new bearing back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts