BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Had a post the other night about my rear wheel makin a noise asociated with a dieing cat!

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f17/1996-e36-316-coupe-whining-squealing-noise-from-t7491/

Thought I had the problem solved cos after replacing the bearing, the noise was gone. BUT on the way to uni this mornin it came back!!! :hissyfit
When got back, took the wheel and the drum off, and what do you know!!.....the bearing is rogered again!!!! :banghead I'm stumped! Dont know how it cudve died again, cos after fixin it last nyt, i went to the local pub nd there was no noise all nyt, this mornin it came back.

Any ideas people? Is it possible to overtighten the bearing? What tourqe seeting it the bearing nut needs? (in newtons if possible please) And which side the bearing goes into the trailing arm with? Because 1 side has a chamfer on the outer race (i put it in the way the old was fitted)

Another fact, dont know if this would have anything to do with the unexpected and mysterious deth of the bearing, the hand break is on its last leg at the moment, and the wheel that keeps dieing, the handbreak does not hold at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
How do you know it's the bearing the noise is coming from? (as I'm not there)

Is there now play from the wheel or have you spun it up with it in the air?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts