BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i assume that i have a coolant leak somewhere in the cabin as when i have heater on windscreen a white 'frosty' looking substance appears towards bottom of screen, when heater has warmed up it then disappears. having the heater vents on windscreen regular does leave 'smears' over time. but most of the time i have heater blowin thru footwell vents so it doesn't cause much problem that a quick wipe wont move. also there is the faint smell of coolant.

anyway to my question - is it harmful to breathe in coolant 'fumes' :yuck with all the chemicals added? :yuck

:duh sorry! just thought this is probably in the wrong forum completely and should be posted on a medical forum, but here it is any.:duh

Reactions: xpress

·
Registered
71 Posts
leaky heater matrix or matrix pipes.:thumbsup
dont think its harmfull to inhale antifreeze fumes,just to drink.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just googled and came across this yank forum,

==============================================================
Originally posted by tjtd00
its your heater core, no its not dangerous

GTS Jeff says,

Ummm yeah ok.

Inhalation:
Vapor inhalation is generally not a problem unless heated or misted. Exposure to vapors over an extended time period has caused throat irritation and headache. May cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and drowsiness. Pulmonary edema and central nervous system depression may also develop. When heated or misted, has produced rapid, involuntary eye movement and coma. :jaw-dropping

don't want to worry anyone!! :eek

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah i suppose if you inhale anything dangerous too long it can be harmfull.
just keep the windows open untill the probs fixed .:hihi

·
Registered
313 Posts
Pulmonary edema what's that?

i have a bit of a matrix problem or so i thought, i used to wind down the window if i got a whiff, however, never had any film or anything shady on the windows even with the hot going to the window, also it seems to have miraculously fixed itself, because i can stick the hot a/c on now and it's clean as a whistle and great.

:D :S

??!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
to the original poster, itsabeema, have a chat with me on PM and if we see eye to eye, we can do this job together if you like, i am in twickenham can plan it, i am going to do mine at some point, just have to move the box and c console not steering wheen and full dash.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
just googled and came across this yank forum,

Originally posted by tjtd00
its your heater core, no its not dangerous

GTS Jeff says,

Ummm yeah ok.

Inhalation:
Vapor inhalation is generally not a problem unless heated or misted. Exposure to vapors over an extended time period has caused throat irritation and headache. May cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and drowsiness. Pulmonary edema and central nervous system depression may also develop. When heated or misted, has produced rapid, involuntary eye movement and coma. :jaw-dropping

don't want to worry anyone!! :eek

Dont panic!!

I had a car with a leaky matrix and drove it for several months because I couldnt face taking the dash out (was an Audi and a right bugger to do the job)

it did smell from time to time but did me no harm....just open the window to let the car ventilate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.