BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because it was and remains cost prohibitive for me to fix my bmw at the moment it has been sat for about 5 months now. Are there any common problems with this particular model being left to sit. More importantly went to turn it over about 2 weeks ago and battery dead. Whilst I am of the understanding the battery's rarely go and are hard to locate is there an easy way to jump start the car, preferably with jump leads. I will not manually jump start the car unless they do so easily as it would be problematic if it did not start.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Ive not had much exposure to the TDS... but i believe your battery is under the back seat as the 535 is.. my 525 battery is under the bonnet as the m50 engine provides the room...

Thankfully bmw has provided a jump start location in the engine bay...
it is marked with a red + mark on a plastic cover near the heater valves or on the right hand side of the bay... then put the negative on the top of the suspension strut or on an engine hoist bracket..:thumbsup

if you can't find it just post back and i will dig out some diagrams...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll PM a guy who may have the answer :thumbsup. Once you get it started, you might want to consider changing your fuel filter and a top up due to condensation in the tank.
it went down with just over half a tank in it (at the height of the fuel prices aswell :( ) so I am relying on that to limit the problem but it needs a good service anyway im just reluctant to do anything to it as may end up selling it for someone to repair anyway as will have to pay a garage a huge amount and dont have the expertise myself

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive not had much exposure to the TDS... but i believe your battery is under the back seat as the 535 is.. my 525 battery is under the bonnet as the m50 engine provides the room...

Thankfully bmw has provided a jump start location in the engine bay...
it is marked with a red + mark on a plastic cover near the heater valves or on the right hand side of the bay... then put the negative on the top of the suspension strut or on an engine hoist bracket..:thumbsup

if you can't find it just post back and i will dig out some diagrams...
think its under the seat and I noticed the terminal but was confused about there only being one so thats useful to know!!!! Im pretty sure I have a battery powerful enough :shifty:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Use the jump start location under the bonnet as posted above,do not connect to the battery under the seat.People do jump off the battery terminals and have no problems but it can blow the fusible link when connecting to the battery to jump start,the link under bonnet runs straight to starter and the fusible link then only has to cope with power for the rest of the electrical system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Started it ran it for 45 mins!!! you have to love BMW's after 5months sat in same place being only started once about 2 months ago, brakes perfect and not siezed, no leaks anywhere in that whole time period. Stared first time without depressing throttle at all. battery recharched perfectly. ran like a car that had not been started for a while for all of about 30 seconds then purred like it should. Only problem is button for sunroof got stuck in lol. So much for taking it off the road for running lumpy it was fine which makes me wonder if there really is a problem with the injectors/injection pump or whether it just needs a dam good service.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Started it ran it for 45 mins!!! you have to love BMW's after 5months sat in same place being only started once about 2 months ago, brakes perfect and not siezed, no leaks anywhere in that whole time period. Stared first time without depressing throttle at all. battery recharched perfectly. ran like a car that had not been started for a while for all of about 30 seconds then purred like it should. Only problem is button for sunroof got stuck in lol. So much for taking it off the road for running lumpy it was fine which makes me wonder if there really is a problem with the injectors/injection pump or whether it just needs a dam good service.
If its been standing, give it a good service... also check for air leaks around any hoses and inlet manifold, they could well have perished... but other than that mate.. it sounds like a sweet running motor...:thumbsup

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it has been standing that long, I'd change the brake fluid before taking it out on the road....

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just put more diesel in the tank,at about 1/4 tank or just above they can play up and run rough,the lift pump slots into the tank holder and relys on an 'o' ring to seal the join,this can pack up and when tank low let air in and give rough running.Any air in the fuel system on these engines and they will surge and run rough giving symptoms of knackered injectors,extreme shaking and all sorts of problems .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just put more diesel in the tank,at about 1/4 tank or just above they can play up and run rough,the lift pump slots into the tank holder and relys on an 'o' ring to seal the join,this can pack up and when tank low let air in and give rough running.Any air in the fuel system on these engines and they will surge and run rough giving symptoms of knackered injectors,extreme shaking and all sorts of problems .
If only last time i drove it full tank and 150 mile round trip in a day stuck in traffic where it started playing up really badly then was playing up in gear even 5th. Hence why I took it off the road because when it had just a rough idle thats one thing I can cope with it cutting off sat still but at anything above 30 is a bit unacceptable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.