BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Going to flush and fill the gearbox tomorrow. Just to double check, Dextron III ATF is the correct stuff to use isn't it?

Also anyone know the easiest way to do it? I'm guessing a huge syringe type thing, where I will get one of those I do not know though! Either that or some long tubing and a funnel...

The car has done 124k and i'm hoping it should improve the feel of the gearbox (not that its bad!).

Any comments or suggestions much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Yoda960

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that, but all it said was:

d. Manual gearboxes: units with orange label with wording 'ATF Oil', ATF TQ DIII / TQ-D; units with green label with wording 'Special Oil', REFER TO MAIN DEALER. The labels are located next to the oil filler plug
e. Manual gearbox units with yellow label with wording 'MTF-LT-1': REFER TO MAIN DEALER; units with yellow label with wording 'MTF-LT-2': REFER TO MAIN DEALER;units with no label: Syntrax Universal. The labels are located next to the oil filler plug

I haven't checked if there is any label on the gearbox, I was under the impression that the coloured labels were only on e36 and other models, not the E34?

This website states it should be Dexron III for the Getrag S5D 250G:

http://www.exx.se/maintenance/gearbox_oil_change/index.shtml

Also realoem.com states with my vin number that the gearbox is the Getrag S5D 250D. It also has a picture of a sticker with AFT only fluid on the gearbox.

Looks like Dexron III will do the trick but I was just wanting to know if others had changed their gearbox oil and what they used/what car they have, i.e. user opinions....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I seem to remember that I used somthing discribed as ATF in mine ,

regarding filling the bottles had a long spout that pulled out of the bottal and allowed the botle to be held sideways when filling with spout going into gear box ,

think the brand was castrol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts