BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I used to have a 1997 840Ci for 2 years 1 year ago, and I want to get back into the e31 madness by buying the true e31: the CSi.

I am looking at this one tomorrow: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2301062.htm

Has anyone else seen it before and wants to share opinion? Is the car known in the community?

I have the checklist from wuffer and will inspect everything as I should. I also have an OBD tool with BMW INPA software - can anyone tell what to look for besides error codes? How can I test the rear wheel steering?
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
I used to have a 1997 840Ci for 2 years 1 year ago, and I want to get back into the e31 madness by buying the true e31: the CSi.

I am looking at this one tomorrow: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2301062.htm

Has anyone else seen it before and wants to share opinion? Is the car known in the community?

I have the checklist from wuffer and will inspect everything as I should. I also have an OBD tool with BMW INPA software - can anyone tell what to look for besides error codes? How can I test the rear wheel steering?
Thanks!
Please let me know how you get on. I have enquired about this car also.

The dealer told me on the fone that it has rust on the leading edge of the roof or the sunroof. Or both. Cant remember 100% Common E31 problem. So I know it needs the roof painted at least.

If the rear wheels steering isnt working a fault will be flagged up on the MID.

Think its rear trans axle or something like that.

Be under no illusion that there will be a reason why this car is alot cheaper than all the other CSI's that have changed hands and a reason why it has been for sale for quite some time. CSI's dont usually hang around too long.

As before if it doesnt appeal to you. Let me know whats its like as condition doesnt really bother me. I like to punish myself! :lol

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
Looks nice - I wouldn't mind one of those.

Usual things to look for: has it been repainted (indicating major accident or lack of maintenance)? How does the engine oil look and smell? Does it run clean? Wheels wobble? Exhaust feel and look the same in both sides (flat hand in the flow direction to check even pressure)? Does the history add up? Is the metal under the side skirts straight or buckled? Does the person selling have a house with a land line number and come across as authentic, etc, etc...

It is difficult to test whether the steering feels right. There is not that much difference to a normal 850 although the road grip is somewhat better on the country roads and you can accelerate harder out of curves than without the kinematics - without losing the rear end. If you are a 'driver' type you can feel it but many people can't.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Please let me know how you get on. I have enquired about this car also.

Be under no illusion that there will be a reason why this car is alot cheaper than all the other CSI's that have changed hands and a reason why it has been for sale for quite some time. CSI's dont usually hang around too long.

As before if it doesnt appeal to you. Let me know whats its like as condition doesnt really bother me. I like to punish myself! :lol
If you buy that John I will be

(i) Jealous

(ii) Demanding a spin in it

·
Registered
145 Posts
CSi serious bit of kit that earn's good money. So make sure it has exceptional history (BMW or Ultimate independent, the later for me!!!)

Gareth

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can do that! Check my project thread....
great - how much did you lift one for..?

just out of interest, is it a big deal if the AHK is faulty (ie would it remain stuck in the wrong angle let's say?), or it would just stop assisting...?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
ahk should fail safe straight. But has been known to stop sideways. No big issue if broken just get rear axle f/safe message in mid all the time and lights up on dash. New ahk actuator unit...£5k as for gt1 prices, they are expensive but i believe mine has paid for itself already. Find them on ebay. Don't get a chinese clone.

·
Super Platinum BFuk Member
942 Posts
the video of the Green Csi was owned by a Bmw Technician who came to gaydon with his diagnostics computer & performed this little demo:)

Good luck with the car viewing,it does look cheap[for a Csi]

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
gotcha, but I was wondering how they do this:

from the comments i see that they use " BMW Group Tester one (GT1). This is what BMW dealers use", but I was wondering if the BMW INPA can do it....
You just activate the actuators using the BMW diags computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok - so I saw and drove the car today. 109,026 Miles

VIN: WBSEG92020CC88178 - can you guys tell me how to find out the info?

The car is in overall good shape. Paintwork is fine, no pink panels. I spent about an hour looking at everything, so if not listed below, asume it works/is fine.

- Small signs of rust on sunroof and wheel arches, seems to have been sprayed on top. Few marks/scratches on lower part of front bumper.

- BBS split rims are refurbished, but quality is poor as they have been sprayed in gray all over (should be grey spokes and diamond cut rim and 34 chrome nuts). Front driver side tyre has multiple bubbles and uneven wear (outside), but I asume this is from another car. Alignment needed as steering wheel not centred. Falkens in the back, they're ok.

- Seems front disks changed recently. not sure about pads.

- both seats fully operational ecept they don't recline. rear seat backs don't lock in. Black leather in OK contidion except for usual drivers bolster and one small rip on the rear left one.

- windows and mirrors work in all directions. all lamps/lights work.

- Usual storage box lid broken (centre console). Flashlight in glove box present, so are all tools on boot lid. CD changer seems to eject (no CD's to test).

- pollen filters look dirty, probably not changed in years.

- New engine fitted at 81,181 miles Sept 200 by David Morrison BMW. Dealer told me it was due to "loss in compression". Bill showed engine cost ~8500GBP plus about 1,800 misc parts and labour.

- Needs 2 new batteries as needs to be jump-started

- Needs new clutch - engages pretty high

- No tax

- Engine bay looks clean. Fan clutch seems fine. No overheating signs, black expansion tank. New engine radiator, the other two are the original ones. Under engine a bit oil, by dealer said does not leave marks on the floor. No oil around the sterring box.

- drives solid across potholes, almost like a new car. comfort/sport damper setting seems to work. AHK: stepped on gas in a corner and the rear slid smoothly outwards - was that a slide or the wheels turned outwards??

- Ventilation fan was off and after 50mph the wind started whistling. Turned on climate control and was ok. Did not get a chance to test A/C as dealer wanted to leave already (after 1.5hr :))

- smooth idle and acceleration. no whobble or side dragging when stopping suddenly. Gear changes "click" well.

This is my impression, what's your opinion?

·
Super Platinum BFuk Member
942 Posts
After you have done both the clutch & flywheel[ Yes that will most definitely need doing ] £1500 spray roof + new gaskets £350 refurbed the wheels properly £600 + 2 new tyres £300 Repaired seats£150 2 x new batteries £150 + the smaller stuff ,tax it,etc etc that list is getting close to £3k.

Unless the deal is right or at least meet you half way then it's not really a cheap Csi anymore;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok - so I saw and drove the car today. 109,026 Miles

VIN: WBSEG92020CC88178 - can you guys tell me how to find out the info?

The car is in overall good shape. Paintwork is fine, no pink panels. I spent about an hour looking at everything, so if not listed below, asume it works/is fine.

- Small signs of rust on sunroof and wheel arches, seems to have been sprayed on top. Few marks/scratches on lower part of front bumper.

- BBS split rims are refurbished, but quality is poor as they have been sprayed in gray all over (should be grey spokes and diamond cut rim and 34 chrome nuts). Front driver side tyre has multiple bubbles and uneven wear (outside), but I asume this is from another car. Alignment needed as steering wheel not centred. Falkens in the back, they're ok.

- Seems front disks changed recently. not sure about pads.

- both seats fully operational ecept they don't recline. rear seat backs don't lock in. Black leather in OK contidion except for usual drivers bolster and one small rip on the rear left one.

- windows and mirrors work in all directions. all lamps/lights work.

- Usual storage box lid broken (centre console). Flashlight in glove box present, so are all tools on boot lid. CD changer seems to eject (no CD's to test).

- pollen filters look dirty, probably not changed in years.

- New engine fitted at 81,181 miles Sept 200 by David Morrison BMW. Dealer told me it was due to "loss in compression". Bill showed engine cost ~8500GBP plus about 1,800 misc parts and labour.

- Needs 2 new batteries as needs to be jump-started

- Needs new clutch - engages pretty high

- No tax

- Engine bay looks clean. Fan clutch seems fine. No overheating signs, black expansion tank. New engine radiator, the other two are the original ones. Under engine a bit oil, by dealer said does not leave marks on the floor. No oil around the sterring box.

- drives solid across potholes, almost like a new car. comfort/sport damper setting seems to work. AHK: stepped on gas in a corner and the rear slid smoothly outwards - was that a slide or the wheels turned outwards??

- Ventilation fan was off and after 50mph the wind started whistling. Turned on climate control and was ok. Did not get a chance to test A/C as dealer wanted to leave already (after 1.5hr :))

- smooth idle and acceleration. no whobble or side dragging when stopping suddenly. Gear changes "click" well.

This is my impression, what's your opinion?
Thanks for the report.

Sounds like the car has been priced accordingly.

Seems the car needs a good service and a bit of TLC.

If I bought it I would plan on returning it to factory condition. (An expensive habit I have)

I think the above estimate of £3000 is sound enough.

Unfortunatley I'm not in the position to buy anything at the minute. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tend to agree on the estimate... With a pinch of salt however, as these are the things i was able to notice from a first look only. Having had owned a 840ci, i am sure a whole bunch of hidden gremlins would be in there... What would you say I should offer then..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you see the service history? Would be interesting at what point it switched from main dealer to indy. If it did switch to indy it's worth looking them up, as a good indy is as good or better than BMW but a bad indy....shudder...especially on a CSi.

On the GT1 by the way, you can get an interface for about £80 that should do what you need. I think the GT1 can do more and no doubt is more robust and reliable but for occasional use the cheapy is great and it can do all the activation party tricks. For electrical troubleshooting it's sooooo useful. PM me if you want details.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts