BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 E31 840Ci - Suspension rebuild time... Shopping list

chaps

ok, so i think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and start investing some money into the 840. 3 out of 4 shocks are leaking and i'm getting some squeaks and rattles towards the rear of the car. im after help on the shopping list of things that i may as well replace while the thing is in bits.

shock absorbers are obviously on there, as are trailing arms bushes (as they've had it). the only other thing i have so far is top mounts. any suggestions would be most welcome. also, to anyone else who has undertaken this job... what sort of budget should i be looking at for parts (front and rear)?

ryan

·
Registered
80 Posts
I replaced my suspension arms and bushes on the front. Did it in two stages, uppers first then lowers. Cost about £150-200 inc labor for each pair to be replaced. The bushes can be expensive little buggers. I recall paying almost £40 EACH for a pair - which ones they were have escaped me though.

I'm starting to get a rattling from the rear end too. If you have EDC let me know how you get on with replacing the shocks, I've heard they can be perilously expensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok got the wallet out today. im attacking the rear first, as its in need of the most attention. so far i've ordered:

2x shock absorbers
2x rubber top mounts
2x dust covers
2x trailing arm front bushes
2x trailing arm rear bushes
2x reinforcement plates

just a quick one... for the trailing arm front bushes (the ones with the axle pin going through them): do you have to have the special tool to get them out? i have access to a hydraulic press at a friends garage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not done it myself but im sure Pheonix Motorsport hire out a tool for it although i would imagine a press would do the trick but hopefully someone will give you a definite answer.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I used a press; you just need suitable pipe/socket/dolly to press them out.

and for anyone who is interested, said parts came in at around £500.
The shocks and springs work out cheaper when bought as a set of four; you know you are going to need them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts