BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until owning this car I've replaced the standard air filter with a K&N filter panel or K&N 57i induction kit. While owning my last Beemer I've come to learn that the oil they use to aid filtering can actually cause damage to the MAF. True? or maybe caused by over oiling?
I'm going to be replacing air filter soon and i'm not keen on killing my MAF so looking to try another induction kit or air filter.
Can anyone recommend a good replacement panel or is the OEM worth sticking to? Or if going down the route of replacing the whole air box has anyone got any advice on a good product or ones to avoid? Not looking to spend mega money on this either.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Up until owning this car I've replaced the standard air filter with a K&N filter panel or K&N 57i induction kit. While owning my last Beemer I've come to learn that the oil they use to aid filtering can actually cause damage to the MAF. True? or maybe caused by over oiling?
I'm going to be replacing air filter soon and i'm not keen on killing my MAF so looking to try another induction kit or air filter.
Can anyone recommend a good replacement panel or is the OEM worth sticking to? Or if going down the route of replacing the whole air box has anyone got any advice on a good product or ones to avoid? Not looking to spend mega money on this either.
Ian S is right!!

Ive been there and done it on the E36 M3.

used a large K and N cone filter and heat shield and removed the airbox.

the result - great sound and what felt like more go, for a week or two.

Then I got suspicous that the car was actualy slower....so I refitted the OEM airbox and a new genuine panel filter.
It was like a different car... really....much crisper and faster response, especially when the weather was warm.

K and Ns can kill the MAF and the OEM BMW panel filter is pretty much the best out there in any case... there was an article in performance BMW a few years ago and it came out top!!

My advice would be to spend the money on a remap from someone like Motech.

much more gains.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
what about a high flow performance air filter for the standard airbox and a remap, what kind of extra BHP would you get from a e36 m3 evo??
This is what I'm asking! Is OEM or an alternative best for the car, i'm not looking to hike up the BHP, just time to replace the air filter. I was steering towards just a OEM replacement panel anyway. Just though it would be a good idea to gather some opinions on what is the best wasy to go. It always good to hear from those in the know.:)

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
This is what I'm asking! Is OEM or an alternative best for the car, i'm not looking to hike up the BHP, just time to replace the air filter. I was steering towards just a OEM replacement panel anyway. Just though it would be a good idea to gather some opinions on what is the best wasy to go. It always good to hear from those in the know.:)
As I said, BMW OEM M3 air filter flows more than most, if not all aftermarket filters.

Think about it.... BMWS R & D budget into developing the E36 M3... 100bhp per tonne naturally aspirated = Much more research in to the M3 than K and N.

Doint get me wrong, a K and N can make a nice little difference on certain makes of car that are strangled from the factory...
but the M3 is NOT one of them..

Just my 2p's worth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.