BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, while inspecting the injectors i came accross this plug, with nothing plugged into it. It doesn't appear to be a sensor, it goes straight into the thin, black plastic box that goes over the injection rail. All the wires in there go to each individual injector, and then there are a couple at the end that go to this plug. Ive looked thouroughly under the intake manifold and have found no loose wires.
Any help identifying this socket, and tracing the plugs whereabouts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Vanos solenoid wire plugs in there.

In your bottom picture under the blue arrow is a cylinder with a black wire running from it, that will have a plug on the end that should go into it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome reply, thankyou. I will go check that out after lunch. One more question, what symptoms would occur from this being unplugged?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, iv'e gone and had a look, the wire at the end of the metal tube (vanos solenoid) was plugged in to the wire in the pic below.
I disconnected it and put it where you said, but now I have this socket without anything plugged into it!

This one will be harder to identify i guess, but ill try my best to describe it.

This wire comes from the bunch under the intake manifold, and reaches as far as the engine fan more or less. It is smooth, not one of the plastic ribbed wires, and has the same fitting as the plug for the vanos solenoid... 2 pins

Someone put my car together wrong it seems... please help me sort this out!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Not the coolant temperature sensor wire is it? Look down inside the manifold with a torch, is there a sensor on the head with nothing on it?

Or the Idle control vale wire?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure which the coolant temp sensor wire is, but there is a round connector with 4 wires, going into the head (near the front). Idle control valve is wired up normally. There are a couple of connections deep under the intake manifold with the same style connector, but they are both plugged in. Can't see any bare sockets further back on the head.
Under the intake manifold there are a bunch of wires which come towards the front, that are bound with a zip tie (if its from factory like that...) this appears to be the only wire with a smooth, rubber covering, and no fancy bits near the tip. It reaches the engine fan, and also the throttle body easily. Im guessing it should come out from under the manifold somewhere as its quite long.

My car idles steady, but low. There is a misfire which is FAIRLY constant, but cannot locate any particular cylinder. Umm... fuel economy is worse than it was.. that's about it really.

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated.
Rob.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ok, iv'e gone and had a look, the wire at the end of the metal tube (vanos solenoid) was plugged in to the wire in the pic below.
I disconnected it and put it where you said, but now I have this socket without anything plugged into it!

This one will be harder to identify i guess, but ill try my best to describe it.

This wire comes from the bunch under the intake manifold, and reaches as far as the engine fan more or less. It is smooth, not one of the plastic ribbed wires, and has the same fitting as the plug for the vanos solenoid... 2 pins

Someone put my car together wrong it seems... please help me sort this out!
isnt there a plug for that under the manifold on the right of the oil filter in the pic?? scrub that.... how far can you trace it back to????

Reactions: Hellmet

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ RJB328i, the 2x plugs under the manifold are in place.
@ ronnie, the engine temp sensor with the 4 wire plug is there and connected.
@ jjbbuzz, I can trace it back to a clump of zip-tied wires under the intake manifold... can't see any further than that.

@ everyone, I will check to see if its the intake air temp sensor, I didn't notice anything plugged into the bottom of the intake manifold. Ill check tomorrow morning as i just went out in the car and the engine is hot.
Will post back tomorrow.

Again, THANKYOU everyone.

Rob.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Give me a pm tomorrow if u have no joy, I have a 1995 328 so I'll have a look where mine goes :thumbsup

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, iv'e had a scout around this morning, and cant even find the air temp sensor plug, there's so much stuff under there, i guess i'll have to take everything apart to find it.
Before I do that, i'll give a bit more info on the wire!! It's got 2 wires, one grey and one brown and grey. I managed to trace it back further, and i'm 93% sure it goes with the bundle to the back of the engine, and up into the plastic cowl underneath the windscreen. (the long box thing with a ton of wires above the heater motor) Sorry, i don't know what everything is called.... mixture of english, american and spanish!

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
There's not many things that use that kind of connector - VANOS solenoid, air temp sensor and I think injectors use that too....
All your injectors are plugged in ? I suspect they are, or you'd probably have mentioned the rough running.

As for air temp sensor, stand by the passenger wing, so you're looking at the inlet from the side, then goto the right of the throttle body and underneath, and you should be able to feel for the air temp sensor under there.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
im certain now its the temp like said..check these 2 pics, to show ya exactly where it is.. a pic of it plugged in and a pic unplugged to show ya where to feel for it..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SUCCESS!! Thanks jjbbuzz those pictures helped a lot. I took off the intake boot and easily located the sensor, and sure enough, nothing plugged in. The wire on that photo looks exactly the same as my loose one.

Once again, thankyou everyone that posted on this thread to help me! I'll be sticking around in this forum and posting all my problems!

Rob.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts