BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... apologies if this has already been covered before.

Has anybody here had any experience of replacing the Shadowline trim on the the doors of a 1996 E38 750i?

Parts of my trim any going cloudy and I am ready to pay the BMW stealers for some new trim!

Any info on how easy it is to remove and replace would be great!

Thnx in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have just removed my shadowline trim as the rubber seal has perished behind and I decided to get rid of it. The trim isn't to bad to remove you just need to take your time. I started at the back doors with the rear most part of the trim, lucky for me because the seal was so badly perished it let me see the clips I would have to remove to get access.

The clips are basically just a push in plastic type that have two pointed bayonet style fittings that just push into a recepticle fixed to the car (white).

To remove them from the car you will need to lift the seal( if you have any seal left that is) find the clips and use a small flat bladed screwdriver to pry the two apart, be gentle and patient to avoid breakages, be sure to place some rag or something over your nice shiny paint work in case you slip with the screwdriver.
There is a join in the trim just above the top of the rear doors but mine was too corroded to separate so I just left it together. I worked from rear to front to remove the trim bit by bit, (a friend would help to support the trim as you unclip it) I was amazed at just how much silt and old leaves had buried itself behind that trim and gave the area a good wash and polish before refitting the trim. The trim just presses back into place gently the complete reverse of how you remove it. I would appreciate some feedback as to how much the trim cost you at the stealers please and I hope this is some help to you.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts