BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why sometimes the pixels don't light up?

They can be fine on first start up, then if i switch off and leave for 30 mins they then become unreadable.

This doesn't happen all the time though just the odd occassion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem with my own E39 (a 2002 525i) and have got a solution guide from the guy on e-bay linked above. I have to say I am currently stuck on getting the cluster apart which appears to be the trickiest bit as I don't want to force anything and break it! Any top tips gratefully received on that!:confused

However, his solution does not involve any soldering or complete disassembly of the instruments; apparently you can get at the LCD assembly and then need to spray the PCB-LCD contacts with contact cleaner (available from Maplins) and most times all is then fixed according to the guide.

Having not got there yet I cannot vouch for it and it may not be as long lasting as the soldering solution Neal has linked. I have to say the soldering option would leave me more nervous than applying a shot of cleaning spray.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a similar problem with my own E39 (a 2002 525i) and have got a solution guide from the guy on e-bay linked above. I have to say I am currently stuck on getting the cluster apart which appears to be the trickiest bit as I don't want to force anything and break it! Any top tips gratefully received on that!:confused

However, his solution does not involve any soldering or complete disassembly of the instruments; apparently you can get at the LCD assembly and then need to spray the PCB-LCD contacts with contact cleaner (available from Maplins) and most times all is then fixed according to the guide.

Having not got there yet I cannot vouch for it and it may not be as long lasting as the soldering solution Neal has linked. I have to say the soldering option would leave me more nervous than applying a shot of cleaning spray.
I have heard about the spray contact cleaning method (isopropyl alcohol), but unfortunately, it will not solve the problems of having dry solder joints.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tried the spray technique. Was a wast of time. Bottled out of the solder method. Not because of the soldering but because of having to take the dial needles off. (had a bad experience with an Audio TT and dial needles :mad)
Ended up sending the cluster away to the guy on eBay from Southampton. Charged me 80 quid for a superb job, all pixels working and had it back to me in a day.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E38-E39-X...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tried the spray technique. Was a wast of time. Bottled out of the solder method. Not because of the soldering but because of having to take the dial needles off. (had a bad experience with an Audio TT and dial needles :mad)
Ended up sending the cluster away to the guy on eBay from Southampton. Charged me 80 quid for a superb job, all pixels working and had it back to me in a day.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E38-E39-X...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
Thanks for that, will give the spray a go and if that doesn't work I'll get in touch with the guy in Southampton.:thumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.