BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

should be easy this one. where is the temp gauge sendor on a 328 e36. my temp gauge dont seem to be working and i need to check it.

cant seem to see it on the radiator

ta
marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
temp sensor temp gauge

ok got that. is there any way of testing the connection?

ie the trick to get the gauge needle to move? theres 4 wires. this would elimate if the sensor was faulty or not

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You can do a binnacle test, Hold down the mileage reset button with the ignition off, turn the ignition key to position 1, Wait for TEST to appear and then release reset button, watch as the binnacle does a self test.

As for sensor it can be checked with a multimeter set on ohms.

25.C is 2050 - 2470
80.C is 261 - 306

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok changed the sensor still a no go. been through and check all the connection as much as possible. it has to be something around the engine config as im suffering with the tach not working and the avg fuel gauge under thats not working.

checked the fuses there all ok.

so any ideas now

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Did you try the binnacle test?

The wires for the sender should be brown/yellow and brown/violet. Short them together briefly and if the wiring is OK the gauge should go up.

I think the wiring for this goes through a connector beside the brake fluid cylinder and diagnostic socket in the engine bay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tried the test cant seem to get it to work hold button, then turn key to pos 1 nothing seemed to happen needles didnt move.

however i found a link on here, (i think) that mentioned reseting the on board computer by pulling fuses and bingo!!! ALL DONE.

many thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have exactly the same problem on my 1996 320i. I can't find the thread that tells you how to reset the computer by pulling the fuses. Can you remember where that was? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts