BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

Something to pick your brains about....

My ABS does not work, I have had the codes read which showed both front sensors as faulty.
Thats the easy bit.........

The bulb on the the instrument panel was dmaaged so I have replaced it with a genuine bmw part.
The problem is that it does not illuminate whatsoever, does not come on with ignition or when driving.
This is causing me hassle as it wont go through an MOT like this.

The other problem is that the bolt holding the wheel speed sensor in has snapped off in the hub... joy!

Any ideas on the bulb problem? Fuse under bonnet it ok.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you tried a binnacle test to see if it will illuminate?

Hold down the mileage reset button with the ignition off, turn the ignition key to position 1, Wait for TEST to appear and then release reset button, watch as the binnacle does a self test.

Broken bolt removal http://wiki.80-90.co.uk/index.php/Techniques_-_Removing_seized/broken_studs/bolts/nuts

Also could you remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Ronnie, i'll remember to add the details next time

The only lights that illuminate on the test are, initially the airbag light.

Then, the seatbelt warning, and brake pad wear light come on.

No ABS light, or any of the others.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1996 e36 318is coupe just turned the ign on to check the abs light works ....it does

then pressed the milage reset and turned the key to pos1

said test and ran several tests

lights that lit up were seat belts and brake pad

no abs light lit up on the test

Reactions: TomB and Ronnie

·
Registered
34 Posts
ive just bought the same car and my abs light and traction contol light is warning me both are faulty if i replace the sensors on the front which are shot will this cure the traction and abs problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take the wheels off, and clean the sensors first. (You'll need to remove the brake disc)

The if you still have trouble, get the diagnostic codes read, as it could be one of a number of things.

If you fix the ABS as far as I know the traction control should be sorted too, as the ABS sensors sense wheel speed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, in theory it should be prettystraight forward.
However, the sensorstend to get pretty stuck in the hub, and the bolts that secure them are very easy to snap!
Its a time and patience job really, as is likely that a combo of heat and plenty of penetrating oil to remove the bolt.

I dont have the time or equipment to do mine, have been quoted £60-80 to do the pair.
plus parts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Little bit of an update on this....

Both sensors now replaced, ABS working fine and no codes showing on diagnostics.

Still have problem with ABS light though, also brake warning light (!) and handbrake (P) light do not illuminate, plus oil warning light does not illuminate.

I have today, swapped the cluster over for one that I know works fine, and still get same problem!!

Is this likely to be an ECU problem, as seems strange that some lights work, and some dont.... its driving me mad now. Can anyone confirm that covering the bottom of the cluster with tape will get it through an MOT, or is it just hearsay?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well handbrake warning light, brake warning light (i.e for low fluid level/pad wear sensor) and oil warning light are all simple (earth switched on most cars) circuits, non ecu controlled. So if most/all the warning lights are not working i would start by checking earth points/continuity. Maybe 1 dodgy wire that takes the earth for the warning lights to the pod?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not too familiar with the layout of the wiring, is it likely to have a common earth wire for the cluster?
I wouldnt know where to start when looking for a broken earth! Is it likely to earth somewhere in the engine bay?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.