BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i have just made a camshaft lock and crankshaft pin to set my cam timing properly. after locking the engine i checked the timing and it looked ok at first but then i looked a bit closer at the exhaust cam and the sprocket was 2 teeth out (not biased to the left but centered to the bolt holes on the cam). ive never looked before as i assumed it was right as ive not taken it off. watched a video on you tube and realised it was wrong.
2 teeth is a lot though right? cant wait to put it together tomorrow and hopefully thats why it feels a bit gutless.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
when fitting the primary sprocket to the exhaust cam, do i set the slots to the left with the chain slack, so when the tensioner is applied it turns the sprocket so the threaded hole moves to the center of the slots?

or

should the threaded hole be biased to the left of the slots even with the tensioner on? :confused

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a bit of advice on fitting the vanos back please, when rotating the exhaust sprocket anti clockwise to engage the first tooth, do i stop turning as soon as the tooth engages and just push in on the vanos then do up the exhaust sproket or do i rotate it fully anticlockwise before tightening the sprocket? should the piston come fully out of the unit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts