BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
i need some help here please.

I have a BMW 540i Saloon. R Reg. Petrol engine.

The problem that i have on my car isnt there all the time. What happens is when i sometimes turn a corner it feels like the car wants to stall or something is pulling it back slightly. A bit like dropping to a lower gear without realising it.
Or, if you come to a stand still and brake it feels like someones accelerated slightly.

I had a look under the engine and it seemed fairly ok. No loose wires, no broken bits n peices etc. BUT, there was some oil there near the bottom of the radiator and on the fan as well as the heat / sound insulation on the underside of the bonet.

I have tried looking everywhere where the oil may have come from but havnt found anything. Engine oil level is ok. Power steering fluid is ok too.

The idle on the car is perfect. No warning lights etc.....

Can anyone help me on this matter please.....?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The can leak powersteering fluid, in fact all BMWs leak to leak from the bottom of the power steering reservoir.

Two possible options are the leak is transmission fluid from the transmission cooler, and turning corners in sloshing the fluid away from the pick up and shunting the gearbox.
It's possible, as there isn't anything oily apart from that so far forward (at least I don't think they have an engine oil cooler, I haven't looked yet!)

Option 2 is a problem detecting low speeds and idle control, a fault code read would point you in the right direction as the engine doesn't have the torque to run the PS pump.
Switching the aircon on will bump up the revs and avoid it, but that's a patch rather than a fix.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

Hi there

I think you may be on to something here. I think it may be the power steering fluid and not engine oil.

When you look at the water pipe on the top of the engine, comming from the radiator to the engine, it is covered with oily liquid. But, the liquid is sticky and not like normal engine oil.

So, with what you have said, i would think its something to do with the Power steering part of the car.

Where would the power steering cooler be located ??? is it anywhere near the front main water radiator by any chance ???

Thanks

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
It would be near the rad somewhere, yes.

Power steering fluid is usually a red or brownish red colour.

Standing at the front of the car, you'll see the oil filter, which has the fancy looking stainless braided pipes, and the power steering reservoir which is small, brown and ugly.
There should be 2 cloth braided from the bottom, usually soaked in fluid.
To check the level, undo the cap, and rest it on the top (as it not screwed down)

The spike underneath is the dipstick, and you'll see 2 steps on it, touching the bottom to the first step is low, between there and the next is OK, and above the last step is high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts