BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be a question asked before, but search didnt return anythin.
I went on the castrol website and asked which oil for my car ('95[N] E36 328i coupe, 68k) and it gave me 2options;
>Recommended- Edge Sport 0w-40;
>Alternative- Magnatec 10w-40.

Ideally i'd go for the Recommended, but considerin my car's got 68k on it now, cud 0w-40 be a little thin for it?
Or shud i just add 10w-40?

My thoughts are to use the edge sport, n if i get any leaks, i'll change it over to 10w-40 later on. Unless there's any reason to say not to, n just to use the magnatec in the first place. Bearing in mind, im not sure which oil the last owner used.

Cheers,
Baz.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Castrol are the only people who recommend 0w40, everyone else will say 5w30. Ive used both 5w30 & 10w40 in mine, providing you're gonna service it regularly just stick with a good quality 10w40, its alot cheaper!

·
Registered
650 Posts
thanks mate. £40 a bottle is a bit much for oil...for me, anyways.lol. not like the 4litres of magnatec i use on my prelude.
10w-40 it is then. but is yours a 328 as well?
No mine is not a 328i, but castrol recommended the same oil for my car too. Also BMW used the same oils throughout the entire range.

10w60 tws motorsport is the best
Why would you use 10w60? 60 Is too thick at normal operating temperatures, more for track/consistent high revving.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i agree on 60 bein too thick. i wudnt even use that on my prelude. I'll try the 5w-30 if it aint too dear. if not, i'll just stick to the magnatec. unless any1 knows of a fully synthetic 10w-40?
I usually change my oil every 3-5 thousand miles, so im good on that front, but i think i'll make it every 5-6 thousand on this1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.