BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the M1 at 65mph and 5 miles into my journey the car just whipped out of my hands and tried to turn right and for the remaining few miles before my junction I was wrestling with it as though it was tram lining but more vicous and at low speeds it's fine just at high speeds 40+.

I did jump out and check all tyre pressures fine but when I push the back end side to side o can hear a creaking noise but no movement in the arm???

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New coilovers fitted and the ride hieght is the same and there's no camber or toe or any uneven wear on the tyres I'm baffled Im going to check the rtab but is there anything else I should look for

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
I'm a little confused, if you could clarify - Is this an issue with the rear of the car, the front of the car or are you not sure ?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It feels like the rear as the front end now has all the suspension changed new wishbones n bushes etc the rear only had the shocks and springs changed

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
aahhhh, so your not actually fighting the steering wheel as such.

Does the car sit differently on the rear ? Is it lop sided ?

I'd still be checking for broken springs, leaking shocks and general condition of bushes.

I can't see this being the issue, but check if the caliper is sticking on.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know that's obvious but it's dark so pointless I posted on here for suggestions.

I was fighting the steering it wanting to go were it wanted and not were I wanted it was very odd and scary it was like tram lining with cross wind kind of sensation I'm 90% sure it's the rear at fault

·
Registered
178 Posts
If the car felt as thought it had a shopping trolley wheel on it, I'd be checking the ball joints and track rod ends - has been the problem when I've had these symptoms before.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I think I'd be jacking the car up and having a look, or is that too obvious?
Well that is the best answer so far :)

To fight the wheel look for someting shortened on that side or dragging, or if it has been driven, and if it was mine, I would touch the middle of the alloy with the back of my hand and risk burning as if one brake dragging the hub would be hotter, preferabbly on the side it pulls too or it's a red herring.

Not recomending that though, just something I do from time to time to make sure everything is even.

Lots of things will put the car out of line but you wil still usually be able to drive forward with the wheel not at centre.

However, if there is a constant pull to one side, rather than it just being all over the place, and yo need a grim grip of death to hold it straight them something is dragging or rubbing.

I would first suspect the brake.

I wild then look closely at everything that you touched because when you get a fault immediately after doing something it is usually related.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Well from all the suggestions now we are down to:

Support the car safely to gain access
Do a visual inspection of everything
If nothing obvious start testing individual components

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the rear end yesturday and there is no play in the arms at all and looking at the rtab they look recently changed and I checked for the subframe cracking but nothing and the front end has every bah and balljoint replaced and the rear discs and pads are new and no sign of binding in the rear or the front.

The only thing I did see was moisture around the drain and refil plugs on the diff.

I'm completely stumped

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi do have traction control as in mine i can turn it on and off by a little button ? if so is it all poss that the traction control cut in hence slowing or speeding up one side then causing the rear end to swing out and you then fighting it to keep it straight as in the car trying to crab? thats the only thing i can think of if nothing is broken or binding,,,only a thought ...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is no traction control on my car :( im thinking of either a dead diff or something has come loose or broken.

When i really think of my journey back down the M1 i remember hitting a large pot hole and i know the front end is fine and the rear appears to be fine so i think the next job is to troubleshoot and prod and poke everything and i dont knwo if my mind is playing tricks on me but the car feels as though its driving sque wiff feels like the front and rear dont line up

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There is no traction control on my car :( im thinking of either a dead diff or something has come loose or broken.

When i really think of my journey back down the M1 i remember hitting a large pot hole and i know the front end is fine and the rear appears to be fine so i think the next job is to troubleshoot and prod and poke everything and i dont knwo if my mind is playing tricks on me but the car feels as though its driving sque wiff feels like the front and rear dont line up
get someone to drive it for you and see what they say. fellow bm owners maybe.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone in my local area is welcome to come have a quick play to see what they think and ive just read a thread just down from this and another kid was haivng the same issues on summer tyres and im on continental sport 3 tyres on the rear with about 2mmish tread wet motorway and me alos suffering from really bad anxiety all the time may not help either but anyone is welcome to come look and have ago

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Had something similar to your symptoms mate though not as bad, turned out to be the NS rear top suspension mount with the shock playing about in the mount.

Just a thought mate...

EDIT: The noise was more of a rattle than a creak tho

1 - 20 of 23 Posts