BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My husband usually posts under this name, but is away for a while, and I have a quick question, which he would normally answer, so please be gentle if it's just too dumb!

Basically the above vehicle runs beautifully, starts every time and has, in the past week driven the length and breadth of the country - on Monday it took us to London, down to Portsmouth, back to London then up to Sheffield via Manchester :eek

I've been out in it this morning and have driven about 6 miles. As I pulled up, the 'check coolant' message flashed up and went off. The car hadn't overheated, and it only happened just as I parked. I went and did my stuff and came back and checked the expansion tank. Sure enough there was about an inch of coolant in the bottom. I filled the tank with plain water (nothing else available) and drove another 15 miles, with no further messages and the temp staying absolutely normal.

I've got home, left it for about 45 mins and have been out and checked the coolant level - it's where it was when I filled it up in town.

My question is two-fold really. I have quite a bit of driving to do tomorrow; is it safe to do so? The second question is why has this happened? - there are no obvious leaks - i.e. nothing running out of the bottom of the car. As far as I know the radiator is new a few months ago as we had a new engine fitted. I'm taking the car to the local garage in the next few days just to be on the safe side, but in the meantime, I'm the only person with access to a vehicle in the family, and I also look after my parents.

Sorry for the long post!

Tracy x

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hmm i had a similar thing 8months back, was driving it fairly hard down to Devon, and the coolant went from being the perfect level, to the coolant tank being empty in 100 miles. Got the warning, topped it up with a litre of coolant and not had a problem with coolant loss since. Hopefully yours is a strange one off occurrence!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
If it wasn't fully bled, some trapped air might have finally worked it's way out.

Other things to check for are slight cracks in the plastic of the radiator. These are often not obvious and sometimes only leak under pressure (once up to temperature).

Absolute worst case would be a head gasket, but don't start worrying about that at this stage.

For now, get some pre-mixed anti-freeze and check the coolant level each morning, when the car is cold. Checking it when it's warm will be at a different level, so can make it look like it's losing coolant. :thumbsup

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think that is what happened to mine, got warmer than usual. I'd had it a few months but that was the first time I'd taken it into 3 figures for any period of time. Then had a 0 - 50 drag race with my friends Ford Focus ST which he actually lost! which was a huge bucket of urine on his cornflakes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine does this every so often. I replaced the radiator after finding it bent when doing THE water pump issue. I'm wondering if this cheaper after market rad does not have quite as good seals on the bleed screw or cap. I haven't convinced myself its the head gasket - yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts