BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all!

I am looking to taking all my door trim off but what is the best of doing it as I now have myself some M-Tech door Mouldings...

Now which bits do I need as some are broken... and I have never done this before...

Many Thanks!!

Damien

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
alright Damien...

I've done this on my Touring... what is the main concern? How to get them off or what parts are likely to break??

I was lucky enough to buy a set of M Trims that were complete including the clips with little rubber boots.... What parts are broken?

Before - note the trim removal tool by the front wheel...

After - muccccch nicer! :)

the old ones can be carefully prised off the car, taking car to minimise any damage the paint, use a cloth of some kind if you need to lever off the body... I had a trim removal tool (8 quid from Screwfix) and this was really useful. There are trim pliers that you can buy but they are pretty pricey and I havent found a set yet... :( use a constant slow pressure when pulling on them and they will come out.. some of the plastic clips are likely to break as they get brittle when they get older... Ideally do it whilst its a little warmer and this may help minimise the number of clips that break...

I've just bought a set for the 'Vert so will be doing this again soon! Shout if I can help at all..

·
Registered
719 Posts
they should just pull off,
on the door start from the back and work forward poping out the clips.
and for the front and rear sections start also nearest the door and work towards the bumpers.
on your diagram number 12 will be right at the end, you dont have too pull this one out as you should be able to slide the trim off it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright Damien...

I've done this on my Touring... what is the main concern? How to get them off or what parts are likely to break??

I was lucky enough to buy a set of M Trims that were complete including the clips with little rubber boots.... What parts are broken?

Before - note the trim removal tool by the front wheel...

After - muccccch nicer! :)

the old ones can be carefully prised off the car, taking car to minimise any damage the paint, use a cloth of some kind if you need to lever off the body... I had a trim removal tool (8 quid from Screwfix) and this was really useful. There are trim pliers that you can buy but they are pretty pricey and I havent found a set yet... :( use a constant slow pressure when pulling on them and they will come out.. some of the plastic clips are likely to break as they get brittle when they get older... Ideally do it whilst its a little warmer and this may help minimise the number of clips that break...

I've just bought a set for the 'Vert so will be doing this again soon! Shout if I can help at all..
Which clips do I need to be able to clip them on? I have that tool but found it useless on other jobs!

If you would be a good idea to do a "How To" as the forum don't have one!

So I need no.11 & 12 and that's it as all the clips are broken :(

Cheers mate!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
hi mate, will see what I can put together... If I do the 'Vert trims this weekend, I'll grab a load of pics...

Looking at the parts diagram at the top:

12 is the clip at the end of each trim part - 1 of these for trim piece (Feel free to correct if wrong),
11 is a little rubber boot/seal - 1 of these for each clip/hole . They basically stop water getting in behind the trims, straight in to the door/wing etc.
7 (I think) is the actual clip - 1 of these for each hole except where you have used part 12
6 (I think) is a little fixing for the badges you have on the door sections. Two of these per badge (4 in total, 2 each side)

4&5 ..... :confused :confused Not sure...

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
damien i can do it in less than 30 seconds its easy

small flat head screwdriver and use a cloth level with the clip then insert screwdriver at the end of the trim (i always go from the rear facing forwards its easier)then lift up and carefully put the cloth underneath for obvious reasons then prise up and use the cloth to stop any scratches etc and take your time prising the trim away.

obviously it will need a good clean and mtec clips only to fit back on with your new trim.

im quick doing it because ive done it loads for other people as well but the trick is take your time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts