BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone had a good christmas/new years :thumbsup , unfortunatly I had a bit of a bad one.

Was driving home on Christmas eve, hit ice and went rear end into the crash barrier. :frown I'm fine (thankfully) but less can be said for the car...I preemptive striked and got myself a rear bumper and tail light from e-bay which arrived during the week so I thought I'd give it a shot this weekend. However, the rear tail light won't fit (squashed area from collision) and it would appear that what I can only identify as the bumper shocks are...shocked.

I have a mobile dent repair guy coming to look at the car on Monday but I'm slowly losing hope. I know it's a long shot but can anyone look at the pictures below and tell me if the bumper is even worth attempting myself, if it is even possible to repair the dent and fit the tail light and confirm that they are actually the shocks I'm looking at?

Rear quater

Shocks??

Sorry for the iPhone pictures!

Thanks in advance,

-Mazdo

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'd say that can be pulled out, but not by a PDR technician, their tools just aren't strong enough for that sort of work.
Not the end of the world, just depends how far you're willing to go with the car. I wouldn't know how much a bodyshop would charge but they'd need to pull out the whole corner, then panel beat it into shape and then use some filler before painting the whole area so it won't be a cheap job.
The bumper and the shocks can be replaced easily enough though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the line to the OEM part catalogue...

[URL="http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E36/Sedan/Europe/328i-M52/1995/browse/vehicle_trim/carrier_bumper_rear/"][url]http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E36/Sedan/Europe/328i-M52/1995/browse/vehicle_trim/carrier_bumper_rear/[/URL][/URL]

The bracket is an integral part of the bumper and looks nothing like yours. I suspect this is the remnants of a towbar like this....
That makes a little more sense...and yet a little more worrying. Any ideas on replacement or is it a case of getting the original repaired?

I'd say that can be pulled out, but not by a PDR technician, their tools just aren't strong enough for that sort of work.
Not the end of the world, just depends how far you're willing to go with the car. I wouldn't know how much a bodyshop would charge but they'd need to pull out the whole corner, then panel beat it into shape and then use some filler before painting the whole area so it won't be a cheap job.
The bumper and the shocks can be replaced easily enough though.
Thanks, I'm planning on keeping her for quite a while yet so I'll be getting quotes asap for the bodywork :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The brackets should just unbolt, you don't need them, however I suspect the reason they have been left on is that the bolts are seized, otherwise they would not have cut it off so badly

Found a better photo of the actual towbar made by Brink - Look familiar?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazingly familiar :rofl

I will give a go at getting them off after work tomorrow and update the thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
992 Posts
Theres a good body repair place up on milber next door to the scrap yard but cant think what its called tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update, thanks for all the response and advice given here, specially billywhizz1984 :thumbsup

Managed to get the nasty towbar remains off and the car is booked for the bodyshop tomorrow.

All parts and bodyshop quote included, has set me back around £600 but I'll start a project thread with the breakdown of that and more pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts