BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been watching a few videos on youtube and every E36 ive seen have a door bonger that goes off when the door is open and my 328 doesnt do this am i missing something

·
Registered
528 Posts
Could be American ones. Most American cars have a whole range of annoying bongs that thankfully European ones don't have to have. Due to the increased levels of intelligence found in European people, car manufacturers realised that they don't need to fit a bong to remind customers that the door is open, and they should close it prior to driving.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah that could be it then I just fancied it as it's another extra I dont suppose anyone has the details on how it works

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Ive been watching a few videos on youtube and every E36 ive seen have a door bonger that goes off when the door is open and my 328 doesnt do this am i missing something
If you have your lights on when you open the door, my E36 did that... and my E39 does too. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
why would anyone want a bonger to tell you the door was open? surely you know its open as you are there and just opened it? They will be making cars that make annoying noises if you don't use your seatbelt next :hihi

·
Registered
89 Posts
why would anyone want a bonger to tell you the door was open? surely you know its open as you are there and just opened it? They will be making cars that make annoying noises if you don't use your seatbelt next :hihi
That and other very annoying extras. I tot the light coming on is good enough indication when you have the door open. Do you really need a sound to tell you. I hope BMW doesn't come out with voice telling you "Your door is open", "Your door is now closed but engine is not started, please start engine".

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
just for the hell of saying it. my old e36 had the lights left on alarm. I always used to smile when it went off as I opened the door as it was in many ways very 'germanic'. It was like a world war 2 prisoner escape alarm and was really in your face. The E46 has a much more tranquil reminder. E36 was a kind of 'OY! Dick 'ed, turn yer lights off' warning, while the e46 is more 'excuse me old chap, one has left ones lights on'

another surprise beep for me was the one that accompanies the 3 degrees (or below) warning for outside temp. first time it happened I was like 'WTF is that?'

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
just for the hell of saying it. my old e36 had the lights left on alarm. I always used to smile when it went off as I opened the door as it was in many ways very 'germanic'. It was like a world war 2 prisoner escape alarm and was really in your face. The E46 has a much more tranquil reminder. E36 was a kind of 'OY! Dick 'ed, turn yer lights off' warning, while the e46 is more 'excuse me old chap, one has left ones lights on'

another surprise beep for me was the one that accompanies the 3 degrees (or below) warning for outside temp. first time it happened I was like 'WTF is that?'
That's pretty much what I thought when I first heard mine.
It's really not a 'pleasant reminder' is it, more a rough squawk that insults you into turning them off as quick as possible!
The cold bong is an interesting one too, as if I've frozen my fingers off scraping ice off the car before I got in, I'm fairly certain I won't forget how cold it is by the time I start the engine.

*hmmm I wonder if you can retrofit an e46 bong into an e36....*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts