BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really need some help as its driving me crazy and sorry if its a repost but my mates gonna have a look later and any help would be most helpfull

upgraded front indicators to clear -no problems

went to fit rear clear m3 rear lights(rep depo ones)and passenger one on the main light loom only has 7 pins in it and not 8 and has the rear spoiler brakelight
wired into it too and the new lights have 8 pins and so does the drivers rear as well which meant the rear light(passenger rear)works ,indicator but not sure about the brake light as i was on my own and time was short.
changed back to original light and now reverse light and indicator no longer work and check control glaring at me and having to use the car unsure what the hell is working anymore and contemplating selling it once again as i have zero patience at the best of times.

is it any easy fix ?:mador should i just give up and buy a golf again because i am really beginning to dislike bmws at the moment

:mad

·
Registered
992 Posts
Iv been having probs with putting my m3 lights in.N/s worked no probs at all but the min i put the o/s light in then the brake light would work on that side but then not on the n/s.In the end i switch the circuit board from my old o/s light to the o/s m3 and now its all working fine.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iv been having probs with putting my m3 lights in.N/s worked no probs at all but the min i put the o/s light in then the brake light would work on that side but then not on the n/s.In the end i switch the circuit board from my old o/s light to the o/s m3 and now its all working fine.
funny thing is when i disconnected the loom from the light(original one)i cant remember if there was 8 or 7 pins in it but now there is 7 only yet the new light and original are still wired for 8 so is there any way to get it working because it was fine before i took the light out?

·
Registered
241 Posts
the 7/8 pins will more than likely be for the fog light. usually only one is wired up from factory.

What type of bulb holder/s does the coupe have? are they individual like the saloon? or a complete board like the compact?

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 7/8 pins will more than likely be for the fog light. usually only one is wired up from factory.

What type of bulb holder/s does the coupe have? are they individual like the saloon? or a complete board like the compact?
individual,rear passenger indicator isnt working and reverse light on the same light anymore so im gonna get the garage to sort it out as i cant be bothered with it anymore.even my calibra turbos less hassle and thats saying something

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wahey as its all sorted now and boy do they look miles better and heres some pics of the fronts ,side and rear lights

front

side z3 type clear

and finally m3 rear

much happier now with the car even though someone tried nicking the front ones early hours of this morning and broke a clip holding the drivers front one in flush to the headlight so i need to sort that out next and in answer to my earlier problems it was the bulb holders and no extra wiring was needed and everythings fine now but couldnt use metal colour ambers on the rear because it caused problems,swapped them for standard amber bulbs and fine now

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Glad it's sorted :thumbsup

Nice looking car, is it Calypso red ? If it is, you need to yoink off that spoiler and post it too me :rofl

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad it's sorted :thumbsup

Nice looking car, is it Calypso red ? If it is, you need to yoink off that spoiler and post it too me :rofl
it is calypso red mate and the spoiler is def coming off but think its bolted on so hunting for another one and you can have it for nothing if you want and its just wants respraying really as the laquer is coming off

·
Registered
87 Posts
M3 rear lights

Hope the original poster doesn't mind me chipping in here.

I also recently bought a pair of M3 rear lights and have not yet fitted them, the plugs on both sides of mine have 7 pins, is that right? or should there be 8?

My car is a '98 coupe with check control....

(I took pics of both plugs and can post up if that helps)

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hope the original poster doesn't mind me chipping in here.

I also recently bought a pair of M3 rear lights and have not yet fitted them, the plugs on both sides of mine have 7 pins, is that right? or should there be 8?

My car is a '98 coupe with check control....

(I took pics of both plugs and can post up if that helps)

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup
mine was 7 on passenger side and cant remember drivers side but i will check in the morning for you as ive just done a 14 hour day but my lights def had 8 pins

Just checked them-Had a quick look and its 7 on both sides with 8 on the new lights plug.just check the bulb connections as mine were slightly corroded so replace them and fitted standard amber lights on the
back which light up really well and look smart as the chrome type amber bulbs were a standard pin and they should be a slightly offset pair so couldnt use them hence the std bulb type and you cant really see them through the glass much.

funny thing is the chrome type bulbs i used on the front indicators work fine.

lights are really bright now and i am well happy with them so cant really see a problem with fitting yours and basically 30 min tops if your quick but watch the bulb holders are flush,clean and tight.

cheers andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ahh excellent news thanks for that, nice plug n play then. :cool

Cheeeeeeeers. (will post pics when i get around to fitting them) :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts