BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep gettin this occasionally ("Check brake light circuit"), and when i switch the ignition off n on again, it goes away n doesn't appear again for a while. but its appearing mor n more frequently now.

I kno the centre brake light (in the bak windscreen) doesnt work, but;

1. if this was trippin it, wudnt the warning stay on all the time till i get it fixed, and;

2. i have a spoiler with a brake light in it (also not working- gona chek the connections in the morning) so if i get this working without gettin the one in the back windscreen working, will it solve the issue, and;

3. if this doesnt solve the issue, can i easily do som rewiring so that the brake light in the back windscreen isnt in the circuit anymore? i dont want both centre brake lights on, as this'll just look odd in my opinion. but i want the "check control" light to go away.

Cheers,
Baz.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But the bulb in the back windscreen dont work either. im guessing this will show up in the diagnostic. gona have a look n see wat i can figure out for myself. try and get the spoiler light working, without getting the window light working, and get rid of the fault code that's showing.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ur def right there. i replaced the burnt high level brake light 2day so i got 3brake lights working. exept for th spoiler one, which i wudnt think wud trigger the check control signal either.

But its still gives me the error, and its almost all the time now. I'll try replacin the switch like u said...if you cud jus giv me an idea of where it is and how to replace it. i gota open up a few parts to replace the valet switch on ma alarm anyway.

Edit: Im gona leave the high level light n not bother with the spoiler light, which doesnt seem to have any LEDs in it (i may be wrong). It looks like a blak glass strip with a small "BMW Motorsport" decal on it, in the position the spoiler brake light wud usually be- might still be a light, im not sure. gona remove the spoiler to chek for wiring 2moro.

Cheers,
Baz.

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just a thought.. Have you replaced the rear light clusters with aftermarket parts?.. I know that cause error readouts for me, as they tended to give false readings on the OBC.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nop, the lights r standard far as i kno. red bottom strips n white top bit for the reverse light.

N its not a brake light in the spoiler. Its just a stick-on logo thingy- pretty convincing tho.lol.

I'll try replacing the switch then. busy tomoro, but i'll c wat i can make of it once i get round to it.

thanks for the guides, i'll replace that switch first.

Edit: Btw, if i do replace them with aftermarket lights n get the warning again, is there a way of gettin round that too?

Cheers,
Baz.

·
Registered
34 Posts
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! its a warnin light tellin you your pads are getting low or your brake fluid is low. which is related to the pads!!!!
there is a sensor on the brake caliper which wears down with the pads, a new sensor is about £6 from andrew pages,

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! its a warnin light tellin you your pads are getting low or your brake fluid is low. which is related to the pads!!!!
there is a sensor on the brake caliper which wears down with the pads, a new sensor is about £6 from andrew pages,
We are talking about the check control on board computer, not the warning light on the instrument cluster.

A bit more diplomacy wouldn't go a miss either.

Ian

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eaasyyyy....no need to bite any1's head off about it mate.lol. appreciate ur input tho.
Ok, im confused. The "check control" sign comes up on the cluster, n the computer thingy under the climate control box tells me "check brake light circuit".

I know my pads will need changing soon tho, n the disks too (disks aint too bad, but i'd like a fresh set on there).

So does this still mean i need to change the switch? cos it does say to chek the brake light circuit, not the brake system.

Also, this means i have brake pad sensors too? and need to change them everytime the brake pads wear down? In which case there'd be a seperate light/error message for this wouldnt there?

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
Eaasyyyy....no need to bite any1's head off about it mate.lol. appreciate ur input tho.
Ok, im confused. The "check control" sign comes up on the cluster, n the computer thingy under the climate control box tells me "check brake light circuit".

I know my pads will need changing soon tho, n the disks too (disks aint too bad, but i'd like a fresh set on there).

So does this still mean i need to change the switch? cos it does say to chek the brake light circuit, not the brake system.

Also, this means i have brake pad sensors too? and need to change them everytime the brake pads wear down? In which case there'd be a seperate light/error message for this wouldnt there?
Yes, you have brake pad sensors. You will have one on the front and one on the rear. The sensor works by wearing through it so you will need to replace it with the pads.

The brake pad warning light has it's own light on the instrument cluster and is not reported by the OBC :thumbsup

Ian

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright then, thanks again. Im used to older cars, without all these sensors. They make u feel like u shudnt replace sumthin even if you'd prefer to, if the car aint told u to yet. lol

Just to clarify, that's one on the front and one on the back of each brake disk? As in 2sensors per wheel. so if its £6 a sensor, that's £48 just on the sensors, additional to the price of the pads, each time i get my pads changed?
I kno you dont hav to change the pads that often, but still. Im used to just listening and checkin for myself, for when they need a change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i just dont understand why you dont take it to a garage and let them take a look, £40 an hour labour and what ever parts and problem solved, i have been using the same garage for years and he has always served me well, if my car breaks or has a problem i use a MECHANCIC!!!
im sorry for bein abrupt but thats what there for!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once again, I appreciate your opinion, but i enjoy workin on my car, problem solving, etc. Its just wat Im like.
Its the reason i appreciate older cars too. My other car's a 1991 3rd gen prelude...i have 2of those. There's nothin better in my spare time, than workin on my car (unless im gettin laid :hihi).
That could hav easily been asked without bein abrupt...Not 2b rude mate, but I dont appreciate that kinda tone. I wudnt take it with any1 else without reason either.

Plus, i just wana clarify, aint forums for helpin each other out, wen u dont wana go to a mechanic, or a high street supplier, etc.?
Bearing in mind, the more i learn, the more i intend to help out on this site too. N i appreciate all the help any1 here gives me, just the same. If im wrong with any of that, i dont mind standing corrected. But the way i see it, if we all shud just to go to a mechanic in the first place, why r we here?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.