BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a basically standard 328i MTec, looking to spend some cash on upping the overall performance and handling of my car - keeping it balanced in all areas as much as possible.

This is my initial spending plan:

M50 manifold, tb and remap. £900.
Ferodo track pads, braided lines, fluid and bleed. £250.
CA-Autos under-engine cross brace. £115.
After market panel filter (keeping OEM airbox). £35.
Eibach / Bilstein spring and shock kit. £700.

So what do you guy's reckon - have I missed anything obvious, is anything listed a total waste of cash?

And before anyone asks, no I don't want an M3 - my car has every lux option I want, mint condition and is well serviced. I think I'd struggle to find a reasonably cheap M3 anywhere near as good...

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like a short-shift kit, but at around £300 I don't think they're very good value for money. Has anyone on here got one, what do they think?

I'm not gonna bother with changing the cams or any engine internals, I don't want to compromise reliability. My car has a hard enough life as it is ...:sarcastic

I'm tempted by an M3 LSD, how much will it benefit the handling though? I'd have thought suspension would be a better use of my budget?

I know the diff would also change my final-drive ratio (from something like 3.15 to 2.93) but in real terms, what would it do to my 0-60 time and top speed?

·
Registered
454 Posts
A diff from a 325 or m3 is a 3,15 ratio so will improve acceleration over the standard 323/328 ratio of 2,93 motorway rpms will increase by about 400rpm at 70mph - a cheap upgrade

Yes I copied and pasted that off another thread.. but im being useful lol!

·
Registered
401 Posts
i was nearly convinced then melly :thumbsup
im not sure how true this is but ive heard that a sunstrip can give you around 15bhp and wich will increase acceleration in 1st 2nd and 4th wich is quite a lot more power than the gti 16v stickers wich only give 10bhp, like i say im not sure if its true but the guy in the corsa assures me it is

·
Registered
454 Posts
i was nearly convinced then melly :thumbsup
im not sure how true this is but ive heard that a sunstrip can give you around 15bhp and wich will increase acceleration in 1st 2nd and 4th wich is quite a lot more power than the gti 16v stickers wich only give 10bhp, like i say im not sure if its true but the guy in the corsa assures me it is
LMao :lol

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Short shift kit using BMW parts.
25 11 7 527 252 Z3 short shift lever
25 11 220 600 Lever Bush
25 11 220 379 Lower Spring Clip

About £50 ish all from the Bmw dealer, and half an hour to fit.
One of the best mods ive done. Just dont be tempted with the cheapo ones from ebay. The Bmw kit is the best ive come across. :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
I've got a basically standard 328i MTec, looking to spend some cash on upping the overall performance and handling of my car - keeping it balanced in all areas as much as possible.

This is my initial spending plan:

M50 manifold, tb and remap. £900.
Ferodo track pads, braided lines, fluid and bleed. £250.
CA-Autos under-engine cross brace. £115.
After market panel filter (keeping OEM airbox). £35.
Eibach / Bilstein spring and shock kit. £700.

So what do you guy's reckon - have I missed anything obvious, is anything listed a total waste of cash?

And before anyone asks, no I don't want an M3 - my car has every lux option I want, mint condition and is well serviced. I think I'd struggle to find a reasonably cheap M3 anywhere near as good...
I have an M50 manifold & throttle body for sale if your interested?:thumbsup £65 and it'll be yours

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your prices are a bit on the high side. Are you intending to do the work yourself or pay somebody?

Have you thought about going for 330 disks and calipers?

As said diff and cams should help.
How direct a replacement are 330 discs - would I need to get anything fabricated?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bolts on with no fabircation required, use the 330 calipers and caliper carriers.

Some people also change the master cylinder at the same time to the E36 M3 3 litre one.

I take it you have 17 inch BBS wheels?
I've got 17's (BMW's not BBS) - which I'm assuming I'll need for space for the bigger discs. Sounds like a good/easy mod. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
spend 2 grand on a 95 328? The car is not worth that. As has already been said sell the 328, add the 2 grand and buy a 330. How simple is that?
Well, it's worth about 2k. A 2001 330i coupe will set me back around £5k, so taking part-ex into account it's still the more expensive option by a wide margin.

Besides, I've got attached to my current motor. :D

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
To even things out a bit, the 328 does have it's advantages over the M3. I'm still trying to figure out which I prefer! Many people own an M for a bit and then go back to the 328.

You thought about at least taking a M3 for a test drive so you can make an informed decision?

The 330 is a better car but there's something a bit special about the 328 sports. I was tempted by a 330 but I just couldn't see myself in one.

I don't think that £2k is too much to spend on a 328, especially if it's one you like. Remember even if you got a M3, the standard suspension is likely to be shot and in need of replacement that will set you back at least £1k. Or maybe you won't like the standard setup and want to upgrade it anyway!

My wish list for my 328 (without getting too carried away) was:

Manifold
Remap
Eibach springs (standard replacement shocks if required)
Eibach ARB
LSD.

Done!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To even things out a bit, the 328 does have it's advantages over the M3. I'm still trying to figure out which I prefer! Many people own an M for a bit and then go back to the 328.

You thought about at least taking a M3 for a test drive so you can make an informed decision?

The 330 is a better car but there's something a bit special about the 328 sports. I was tempted by a 330 but I just couldn't see myself in one.

I don't think that £2k is too much to spend on a 328, especially if it's one you like. Remember even if you got a M3, the standard suspension is likely to be shot and in need of replacement that will set you back at least £1k. Or maybe you won't like the standard setup and want to upgrade it anyway!

My wish list for my 328 (without getting too carried away) was:

Manifold
Remap
Eibach springs (standard replacement shocks if required)
Eibach ARB
LSD.

Done!
I'd like an M3, but the insurance and other running costs would be a bit of a killer. I still think I'd struggle to get a good one for a decent price, plus like you say - the suspension etc is bound to be tired so after purchase I'd still have money to spend.

How much would a costmetically/mechanically mint circa '95 M3 cost verses what I could sell my 328 for?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.