BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as above its its split where it meets the hub and when i drive i can here it slapping around not casuing any damage just being annoying are these easy to replace?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Here is a good guide showing how to get access to the plate (step 24)...

[url]http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36brakesystem/[/URL]

As shown here it is held on to the hub with a few bolts...

[url]http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E36/Touring/Europe/323i-M52/RHD/A/1999/january/browse/brakes/rear_wheel_brake_brake_pad_sensor/[/URL]

I've not done this but I suspect you need the hub off to get the shield over the drive shaft, have a look here (right near the end)....

[url]http://bmw.monkeysuncle.net/TechProcedures/e36/Suspension/e36_subframe_reinforcement.htm[/URL]

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh silly me lol its on the front :( nice guides thogh billy :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just read on pelican this :frown

On this particular E36, the dust shield was indeed bolted to the strut assembly, however, to remove it, it needed to be cut off using a Dremel cut-off tool. There was no other way to physically remove the dust shield without disassembling the entire hub and bearing assembly.

are they really needed?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
On my old Saloon, the rust had got so bad (And the banging noise it was making), I could tear it off with my hand !

I never had any issues pulling it off.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
I recently replaced both mine and wish i had never bothered as it was a giant pain in the hole. You have to take off the hub and remove the abs sensor etc which never come out in one piece and then the bolts holding the dust plate on are usually so rotten they need cutting off and driling the bolt stud out.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's easier to cut them off then and there are no not issue with no plate there? Or easier to buy a complete hub

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
So it's easier to cut them off then and there are no not issue with no plate there? Or easier to buy a complete hub
That plates only good if you like driving over muddy fields IMO. Its easy enough to do in theory ie pulling the hub/bearing assembly off and replacing the plate held on with a few 10mm bolts.

I'd replace it if it was my own car because I like everything to be complete and done right :hihi

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
could i modify the plates to be slided in as on my old fiat coupe they had a groove cut in them

original

modified

performance ones

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I don't see any reason why not!
I was about to suggest cutting them in half and then riveting them back together using two small squares of steel to bridge the gap.....but cutting a slot is better idea lol

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
For what its worth and if youre anything like me it bugged me the thought of removing then totally so i just striped it all down, refurbed the hubs at the same time and stuck new ones on from the dealer but then again I am a bit of a pervert.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would but all my money is tied up refurbing the rear end and the gearbox etc :(

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Having just experienced this promlem myself, I've got a couple of questions:

My front plates have cracked and are rattling, I took one side apart to see what was what and at first glance thought 'oh, just these three bolts and bobs your uncle'....wrong :shifty:
Why on earth do they need to wrap around the hub like they do :confused

Anyway, I took the cover off the hub nut (40mm?...) and I'm wondering, if I removed this nut would the hub slide off? or is it all pressed on?
If it does just come off, what is the torque setting for doing it back up again?

I've put it all back together and left it as I know at least know where the noise is coming from, but when I do come to do the job I'd like to know what's what.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if it helps i cut mine off over 2 years ago on the n/s and have never had an issue...it looked too much of a task to replace it so trimmed it down and bobs ya uncle....had 2 mot's since and nothing evetr mentioned.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just cut them off for the hassle it sounds to be, or if your anal just cut a bit out like you did in the pic and bolt up.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yeah thanks guys, the more I thought about it the more I didn't like the thought of messing about with bearings that are totally fine.
I've had a cunning idea to solve the problem, so once I try it we'll see if it is indeed as cunning as I think lol

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cut mine in half and only the lower half is still on and it wasnt that causign my rattle it was the center exhaust braket but one lees thing to wrong badly in the future i suppose.

If you get the exact measurements theres nothing stopping you from cutting yours off and fabricating your own :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Having looked at it all, I think the important thing is the cup that covers the ABS ring and sensor. Getting rid of that doesn't sit well with me so I'm using 2 covers to make 1 bolt on item each side (in two parts; cup and sheild seperate)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts