BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I locked the tensioner in place so the belt is loose but as the haynes manual says to pop off the plastic cover or something in the middle of the pulley all i can feel is a metal cap in the middle?? it feels like metal or is it just hard plastic? how do you pop it off? a flat head screwdriver wasn't working for me...
:embarrassed

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The black plastic cap should be pretty obvious, a very small flat head should pop it off. Then the torx head bolt is easily visible.

Edit:
This is what they look like once the caps are off

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Which tensioner have you got? the pulley on an offset round springy holder, or the one with a little hydraulic shocker?

Apart from the actual ancillaries, the highest pulley is metal, and non adjustable on a bolt way too long for it's own good. I believe they use this as a bolt for the alternator.

The tensioner pulley is the one in the middle, and underneath a cap (if the cap is still fitted) is a hex key bolt, fairly big, maybe 8 or 10mm.

I wasn't aware you could lock this, you should just be able to put in an alley key, and turn it as if you are trying to tighten the bolt. It won't move fast no matter how strong you are, so hold a steady pressure, and it'll creep back, you can then flick on or off the belt (or abort when you realise you have the allen key on the wrong side of the belt!)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black plastic cap should be pretty obvious, a very small flat head should pop it off. Then the torx head bolt is easily visible.

Edit:
This is what they look like once the caps are off
it's the bottom one. i can't see inside cos of the angle. gonna try a mirror or something but feels like a plug in the middle of the pulley... i'll try a flat head again

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which tensioner have you got? the pulley on an offset round springy holder, or the one with a little hydraulic shocker?

Apart from the actual ancillaries, the highest pulley is metal, and non adjustable on a bolt way too long for it's own good. I believe they use this as a bolt for the alternator.

The tensioner pulley is the one in the middle, and underneath a cap (if the cap is still fitted) is a hex key bolt, fairly big, maybe 8 or 10mm.

I wasn't aware you could lock this, you should just be able to put in an alley key, and turn it as if you are trying to tighten the bolt. It won't move fast no matter how strong you are, so hold a steady pressure, and it'll creep back, you can then flick on or off the belt (or abort when you realise you have the allen key on the wrong side of the belt!)
you can lock it by pulling the belt so the hole on the tensioner lines up with a hole in the block and you put something strong in it and it keeps the belt loose.

and i don't have that top pulley as in the pic shown by Sphinx...

is the whole pulley meant to be under a cap? or a cap in the middle where you can't see??

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i used a dentists' tooth mirror thing to take a look :rofl
it was a bolt! 16mm... swapped over super fast. easy job :thumbsup
old one has some play in it and was noisy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts