BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, iv noticed that my engine, from cold to running temp, makes a beautiful induction noise and especially so when the vanos operates. the thing is, once my engine gets up to normal running temp, theres hardly any noticable induction noise even when the vanos starts to work, could it be an oil pressure problem affecting the vanos when the oil gets hot and thins out????many thanks folks, hope my description aint to confusing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, thanks for the reply. there does seem an ever so slight lack of power in the vanos operating range once it gets warm, but most noticable is the induction roar (loud and throaty when engine is cold).

i have noticed while the engine is getting up to operating temperature, it feels like driving an older carbaretted engine (running when cold), without using a choke ie, rpms drop real quick when changing gear and the engine seems alot more sensitive to throttle response (something i really like) but in no way does the car run lumpy or idle rough.

once the engine is at normal running temp, there is a massive reduction on the 325 induction roar although the engine the engine still runs smooth apart from the annoying 1-2 sec rev hang on gear changes (i hate that).

only thing my brain could think of was maybe with the engine oil reaching running temp and thinning out, could there be a slight decrease in oil pressure to the vanos unit, thus altering the operation???

cheers again for your interest

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dont know if they are the same, but I had a 528 E39 and it did the same.

I was told that it is part of the warming up process, something along the lines of that it sucks in more air so the emissions are lower when cold....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont know if they are the same, but I had a 528 E39 and it did the same.

I was told that it is part of the warming up process, something along the lines of that it sucks in more air so the emissions are lower when cold....
sounds like my car is just teasing me with the great noise when cold :rofl il just have to wipe the smile of its face and start my turbo project. thanks for the info mate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.