BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Is it normal for my exhaust to sound raspy at high revs? its always been like it but I dont really like that sound and wondered if my back box is a bit knackered? I'd rather it sounded throaty like a straight 6 should. Any help would be good, Cheers.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Is the exhaust a genuine BMW replacement or after market?

Many after market exhausts will sound raspier than a genuine:thumbsup

It's worth having the system checked over, if all is well you can then consider weather it's worth replacing or just turning the stereo volume up:rofl

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yeah I think it is the same 1 from new. Do you know of any good bmw parts yards?
you looking for a 2nd hand item or new.

If going for a 2nd hand item, there's a chance that it will too be knackered.

Back box's are cheap enough at GSF or ECP's.........changed a few over for customers, they sound ok.

I take it you have a cat aswell..........you sure the raspiness is coming from the back box or is it coming from a the front end of the exhaust system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a cat and to be honest i'm not sure where the sound is coming from just assumed it would be the back box, the cat seems to be ok with no rattles. Somebody has offered me a cat and back box from a 1998 328, Appart from having to put a twin pipe diffuser on the bumper would this fit straight on or are the manifolds different?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It has a cat and to be honest i'm not sure where the sound is coming from just assumed it would be the back box, the cat seems to be ok with no rattles. Somebody has offered me a cat and back box from a 1998 328, Appart from having to put a twin pipe diffuser on the bumper would this fit straight on or are the manifolds different?

hmmm, I'm personally not sure if they are interchangable, never done it. Maybe some of the Boffins on 'ere would know.

Have you actually had the exhaust checked mate?

What I would do is, drive down your local Kwik Fit and ask them to check it- its free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok mate thanks for your help. If there is any body who knows if i can put the 328 bits on my car it'll be great if you could help. Thanks for everybodys help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.