BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E36 318ti - what oil and how much and manuals.

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  webby.k 
#1 ·
hey guys im about to do an oil and coolant change on my car an was wondering how much and what oil i need to use?

also is there a manual for the e36 compact as i cant find one and it would answer loads of the silly little questions i have.

kev

#3 ·
A good quality (castrol for instance) 10w40 semi-synthetic would be fine for 1.8 16v engine, i use the same in mine. 5 ltrs is all you need. As for the cooling system mine was approx 6 ltrs, 50/50 mix of GENUINE BMW COOLANT & water (distilled if you want to be fussy!). I bought 2x 1.5ltr of concentrated coolant from the dealer, pretty much same price as factors but the "proper" stuff.

#5 ·
Well ive seen all sorts recommended for these engines, dealer says 5w30, castrol say 5w40, or 10w40. Fully synthentic came about when the service schedules allowed for more mileage between services, so if you're gonna service it often, 10w40 will be fine. Looking back at the dealer history for my car, only the first 2 services used fully synthetic, after that was semi-synthetic? It runs fine on both, so i'll be using the cheaper option!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.