BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been talking to someone about getting parts for the conversion from a manual box on the engine to a automatic. now i have the engine and gearbox wiring loom(manual) and to my horror found out that it might need to be a automatic wiring loom? i thought i could get a auto gearbox with ecu and put it on the engine which was manual??the car its going in is a 318is auto,so no need for pedals..will i have to get another wiring loom??just that no one has mentioned this, i cant see anyone thats had to do it.:frown

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
  • When making a post about a problem with your car, Please list in your Thread Title the YEAR, BODY SHAPE and MODEL of your car followed by a descriptive TITLE, (Example, 1995 E36 318is to 328i auto gearbox conversion) If you don't know the body shape of your car no problem, but at least include the year and model as a minimum with your Thread title.

• Use a descriptive title for your thread and start it with your car details [Example Thread Title] 1995 E36 318is to 328i auto gearbox conversion

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • When making a post about a problem with your car, Please list in your Thread Title the YEAR, BODY SHAPE and MODEL of your car followed by a descriptive TITLE, (Example, 1995 E36 318is to 328i auto gearbox conversion) If you don't know the body shape of your car no problem, but at least include the year and model as a minimum with your Thread title.

• Use a descriptive title for your thread and start it with your car details [Example Thread Title] 1995 E36 318is to 328i auto gearbox conversion
yea ok ,was in a rush, wont happen again,just forget some times.. does anyone no the answer to this?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im bumping this, in need of an answer from someone that know's:confused

·
Registered
705 Posts
if you are saying you are keeping the the car auto then the manual loom will not work as it hasnt got the connecter for the autobox ecu, also there is another wire that connects to the auto box which the manual loom wont have.

Also if the engine is from a manual then it will have a fly wheel, where as the auto will use a torque converter which you will need.

Auto's are pretty shit, why not go about converting it to a manual?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, i wish omeone had pointed out to me that the manual loom will not work with a auto box?!!!:shifty:so now i have to go out and get a auto 328i wireing loom:mad

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you are saying you are keeping the the car auto then the manual loom will not work as it hasnt got the connecter for the autobox ecu, also there is another wire that connects to the auto box which the manual loom wont have.

Also if the engine is from a manual then it will have a fly wheel, where as the auto will use a torque converter which you will need.

Auto's are pretty shit, why not go about converting it to a manual?
na i like automatics, like the comfort,well i new i had to get a gearboox with torq converter,ecu, so will just have to find a auto loom now then,then back on track,just puts me back a bit longer...shame though i got the manual loom with loads of wireing,extras i think.its my own fault,live and learn eh..the only way is up..:thumbsup (or is there anyway around this people???)

·
Registered
162 Posts
don't forget the rad will need to be from an auto as well for cooling the auto gear box oil. you also need a power steering pump from the auto as well as the oil lines. I'm pretty sure your going to need a diff from an auto as it has a different ratio?

seriously though why wouldn't you just sell your car and buy an auto e36? there are many of them and insurance will be cheaper as its not modified. plus you save time and effort and labour if your not doing it yourself.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Sounds like a tricky conversion and I'm afraid this is not one that I am familiar with:confused

Can you post up any other questions you may have that you require assistance with so that we can get you all your answers before the weekend;)

I'll subscribe to this thread now and try to assist where possible rather than PM as this will most definitely help others in the future:cool

:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i dont have a 328 auto running car, i have a 318is auto,that's was staying 318is,but long story, so...i bought an manual engine with gearbox thinking it was just get auto box with ecu and that's it.lol. but no i have a auto loom coming,a battery relocation kit, prop-shaft,so i need a auto diff,gearbox with torque converter and ecu..i don't have the money just to go out and get it all,so not in a hurry,the car is going to have the best i can do,so from what i have and what i need to get,then its a hard case of getting it all to work..if it can be done then i will do it ,that simple,i have the time when not working,i have my 318is daily driver so...it will have a full respray of the maderaviolet it is.all i need is some guidance and steps of what i should do next?i need arb,exhaust,few little bits...Ive most probably forgotten things,(if anyone has any of the parts i need and not to much i would appreciate the call,i will have a 328i manual gearbox, a 318is gearbox, m44 throttlebody,m42 throttle body,maf,and all the bits round the m42.the project car is the one i really want to do up ,it has electric rear windows,heated seats,climate control,cruise control,Ive just refurb all the leather ,got bmw og mats, i'm keeping the 16"sport wheels which will be powder coated at work£0. i have m-tech front and rear bumpers all primed and ready. i have the bumpers in madera violet for sale, taken there toll over the years..that's why i'm gonna make it a nice one...and i don't doubt myself with help..:thumbsup..i just want to no where the wires go the loom,when i get round to it..thanks for taking an interest.;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
318is auto gearbox probably wont mate to the m52 - besides that the ECU might not even like it.

do your sums, if you consider the cost of all these parts you need to do this swap you will probably find it better to go out and just get a 328i - the insurance quotes will be cheaper as well, as most charge you lots for even simple modifications on modern cars.

im all for modifying cars - but tbh mate, I fear your not going to get any advantage on this type of modification to justify taking your car all to bits.

If you had a complete 328i donor then it might have been easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
318is auto gearbox probably wont mate to the m52 - besides that the ECU might not even like it.

do your sums, if you consider the cost of all these parts you need to do this swap you will probably find it better to go out and just get a 328i - the insurance quotes will be cheaper as well, as most charge you lots for even simple modifications on modern cars.

im all for modifying cars - but tbh mate, I fear your not going to get any advantage on this type of modification to justify taking your car all to bits.

If you had a complete 328i donor then it might have been easier and cheaper.
dont you worry what its going to cost me to do, and insure,cause im not,ive gone to far to turn back, and i want this,i will no this car inside out and the stuff i will have lernt will be priceless.ive lernt so much from the people on this forum,and the information.so support the cause or dont.,and wheres the learning experiance by just going out and buying one? again this was a project,some people wouldnt bother,but i would..lolwe will see the final result:cool(oh and i dont think nowhere in this thread saying i want the 318is box and ecu in the 328i..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts