BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my E36 started spluttering a couple of months ago and its getting worse, it seems to drive ok in high revs but under 3000rpm it splutters and looses all power.

So far ive changed the plugs, leads and coil pack but with no improvment. I've also done an oil and filter change and there was no water in the oil

any ideas??

·
Banned
478 Posts
Quite difficult to diagnose really,
Things to check - vacuum hoses(splits, holes clamps)
Oxygen sensor - This will have adverse effects on the mixture if faulty
AFM
Infact there are various sensors that can cause problems, so i'd definately check for air leaks, if A1 then,
I recommend getting the fault codes read, you should be able to get the problem pinpointed! :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
mighty five series, how would you check for air leaks?
You could use carb cleaner or brake cleaner and spray it round carefully over induction pipes and breather pipes e.t.c, it will cause the revs to alter as it pulls in the volatile mix

otherwise if you know what pipes are where you can just remove them and check them out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i should be getting the codes tomorrow, i think its gonna be the fuel pump but hopefully it wont be

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
i should be getting the codes tomorrow, i think its gonna be the fuel pump but hopefully it wont be
A code scan wouldn't come up with fuel pump, you would need to have the fuel pressure tested to establish a fault with the pump :thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts