BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all - newby to the forum....

I own a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo which is my weekend toy and up until recently I was using a 1994 Toyota Celica GT to commute back and forth to work.

The Celica cost me £350 2 years ago and has been fabulous but the bodywork is battered from the previous owner and there are some mechanical issues beginning to occur which I dont have time to make good. To cut a long story short - I have just bought a 1995 E36 318is Coupe (M42) with 93k on the clock for £1050 as its replacement. The bodywork is excellent, but the interior is a bit grotty due to the previous owner, but I can sort that.

The Celica was lowered on aftermarket springs and the handling was very good. I knew that the 318is Coupe wouldn't be as quick as the 2.0 Celica, but from what I had read, I expected the handling to be very good, which is why I went for it.

I owned an E30 about 3 years ago which was superb fun on twisty roads and is the main reason I went for another BMW workhorse, however, the first thing I noticed about the E36 is that the body is a bit prone to rolling about quite a bit.

One of the things I read about the E36 was that it was meant to be a really good chassis for handling, so - any ideas on why i'm finding it a bit disappointing - is it comparable to a similar age Celica or am I expecting too much from a saloon? Having said that, the E30 was excellent and the Boss' E46 I have driven was also superb.

Its on bottletop 15" alloys which have cheap tyres and the tyres also have a hell of a lot of side-wall. One thing I plan to do is source some M3 wheels - will this help?

What else could I check / do to improve it?

Thanks

Rob

PS: Some pics for you petrol heads......

MR2

E30

E36

(Ebay pic - more to follow)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Welcome to the forum:D

First off you need to check all the bushes, especially the at the rear of the front wishbones and the rear trailing arms. Anti roll links and shock mounts also go for a past time.

I would advise Polyurethane replacements as they are a vast improvement on the standard examples:thumbsup

The E30 was renowned for it's handling:thumbsup

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - been reading lots about your car whilst waiting to collect the E36 - what a transformation you have achieved!!!

Apparently the trailing arm bushes have all been done recently, but I will check the rest. I know E30's are renowned for their handling but I have also read that the newer Z-link rear suspension on the E36 was an improvement?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Also check the anti roll bar bushes, 4 wheel alignment as well.

I would advise you to try and hunt another 318is in yoru area to test drive to get a comparison. But I do think you have issues with your chassis as it should be pleasing at the very least.

What condition are the shock absorbers and springs in?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesnt wallow about at all - but an alternative test drive might be in order.....I just wonder if I am used to better handling cars generally with the Toyotas and am expecting too much.

The MR2 is on fully adjustable coilovers but I wont compare the BM with that!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've had a few Celica's (ST162, ST182 & ST185). They handled quite impressively but a 318is in good order shouldn't dissapoint in comparison at all.

What size tyres do you have? (just asking as we usually get many customers fitting the wrong size tyres to their cars to save a few quid just before they sell).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply - good to know the Coupe should be better than it is - I like a project!

Will check the tyres tomorrow for size - all I know is that they are real ditchfinders - very easy to understeer the front end round a roundabout at 25mph.

Picked up replacement seats today - my existing drivers side is half broken - the back of the seat bends away on the right hand side!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Thanks for the reply - been reading lots about your car whilst waiting to collect the E36 - what a transformation you have achieved!!!

Apparently the trailing arm bushes have all been done recently, but I will check the rest. I know E30's are renowned for their handling but I have also read that the newer Z-link rear suspension on the E36 was an improvement?
Glad my work in progress has made interesting reading for you:hihi

Check out my latest chore whilst off work:thumbsup

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f17/e36-1996-325tds-injection-fault-update-engine-is-t658/

Look forward to seeing photo's of the work you are about to carry out:cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.