BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine runs sweet as a nut. Second time I put fuel in it, £20 lasted be about 175 miles which is fine.

Car idles at 750rpm smoothly from icy cold start to nice long 40 minute run.

Yesterday I brimmed it (£48) and zero'd the clock. Having now covered 80 miles, it is already at 3/4 on the gauge which is a bit concerning. Do the E36 gauges tend to move a lot at the start and slowly in the middle on a full tank?

My old E30 M40 saloon ran for about 120 miles before it even moved off full.

As mentioned in another post, my temp gauge seems to constantly be varying from just above cold to normal temp. The car runs very smoothly so it doesnt seem to be overfuelling.

Cheers

Rob

·
Banned
31 Posts
my 316i compact drops like a stone to start with then takes ages to go down towards the end i wouldn't worry mate.

Whacky

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one guys.

Im on 110 miles now and just the other side of the 3/4 mark - so if ever quarter is about 100 miles then I should be close to the 400 miles I expected.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hmm that's odd...on my 318 IS it drops quickly after half way. i've heard that most bmw fuel tanks are wider at the top so last longer up until half way. maybe you should do another test? because your first set of readings (175 out of £20) is quite impressive. i tend to get 80/90 miles from £10

·
Registered
39 Posts
Christ i only get about 105ish (varies) miles for £20! (mines the 318is so dunno if higher consumption) Although i only ever town drive. Saying that, if i drove more easily then i suppose i'd get more. Just always in a hurry. My temp sits just above cold and up to normal temp all the time. Rises and drops almost constantly. Just a BMW thing i guess. My mates 316 done the same.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well im now 3/4 of the way into the red and i'm on 430 miles so I think all is well. Thats a mix of motorway, rural and urban.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
I THINK ITS TIME TO GET MY OLD DOG ON A DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE .
I only do 50 miles a week on average , over 6 days . Maybe an odd run out in the eveneing , maybe a turn on my day off to . Remembering the wife drives a BM too so getting into her car is not a hardship .
Anyway . 4 miles there 4 back 6 days a week , always on choke . £20 = 90 miles and thats just gone up from around 80 miles . Only due to the huge drop in fuel costs. Is this as bad as i now thought it was .

·
Registered
77 Posts
1996 318is

mine is a 318is coupe 1.9

£15 pound got me 100 miles but

my thermostat is stuck wide open

the wires have been riped of the lambda sensor

car runs 100% fine but need to sort out the above issues

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine ended up at 450 miles before I decided not to risk breaking down!

Sounds like shes running well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got 250+ miles out of my 318i e36 with £30 petrol, around the 25 - 28ltr mark travelling around local roads. Depends how you drive really.

·
Banned
110 Posts
hi Zircon

With most cars espcially bimmas , if you get air in to the fuel tank it will restrict the amount of fuel allowed to be put in the tank.

Also its best to NOT let the petrol needle go to the reserve tank or yellow light , as dirt can be brought into the fuel system,and also if you eat into the reserve tank which can hold upto about £8 worth of fuel , it will change the amount of fuel you can actually put into the main tank. thus giving you varied mileage

other than that if theres a fault - check the tank sender unit/relat/fuse, or worst case it will be you instrument cluster faulty.

My 318iS 1994 , does about 80miles for a £10,,,, I still need to change the 02 sensor , which is major factor .

To sum up fuel consumption has a lot of factors , from lazy 02 sensor - cataltic convertor perished- general engine service- worn clutch is the big factor .

if you car has done over 100,000 miles and has not had a new clutch I strongly suggest you get a new clutch, if you want ask any professional a new clutch is like a new car , you engine will work less but your car will go faster and fuel consumption will be more economical. then you will enjoy your bimma trust me oh and make sure you get a new flywheel or get it reconditoned if you get a new clutch fitted

gd luck

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent reply mate - thanks, thats very informative. I got 450 miles in the end so am very happy with that.

Does the orange low fuel light change to yellow then when it hits the reserve on E36's???

·
Registered
22 Posts
my 318is hasnt seen a full tank in months lol hard times!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same with my 316i compact i fill her all the way up i get about 50-80 miles out of the first quarter but get 350-400 for the whole tank!

Chris

·
Registered
650 Posts
Christ i only get about 105ish (varies) miles for £20! (mines the 318is so dunno if higher consumption) Although i only ever town drive. Saying that, if i drove more easily then i suppose i'd get more. Just always in a hurry. My temp sits just above cold and up to normal temp all the time. Rises and drops almost constantly. Just a BMW thing i guess. My mates 316 done the same.
You need a new thermostat then. Temp guage should come to halfway & stay there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.