BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an 318is auto as a project car. i have just recieved my 328i engine with manual gear box.now i have an auto 318is engine with ecu in the car at the moment,but when i put the 328 engine and a new auto gearbox, can i use the 318i autobox ecu for the 328i engine and auto box?? or do i have to get a perticular ecu?? i want to stay automatic..

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
There will be 2 ECUs, one for the gearbox and one for the engine.
It should work fine having a 6 cylinder powering the gearbox, but if you get odd gearchanges, you may need to change it from rpm differences.

I have a feeling it sends the data over the CANbus rather than just pulses from the revs.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There will be 2 ECUs, one for the gearbox and one for the engine.
It should work fine having a 6 cylinder powering the gearbox, but if you get odd gearchanges, you may need to change it from rpm differences.

I have a feeling it sends the data over the CANbus rather than just pulses from the revs.
im not sure if im getting what your saying.lol.so i can get a 328 auto box and try use my 318is ecu?the worst i just get another ecu? is there any way of finding out what ecu to get? if needed..or any 328 auto box ecu?

·
Registered
567 Posts
318i/is '96-'98 m44 and the 328i/is '96-'98 m52 both use autobox A4S 270R

318i/is 92-95 m42 uses A4S 310R

ratios on both boxes are the same :thumbsup

not sure if you have a m42 or a m44, but you should be able to use your existing gearbox with the six mate.

info taken from bently manual
hth luke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts