BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok that im doing a engine conversion, with a 328i engine,i want a auto box on it.will a autobox from a 320 do the job? or does it have to be direct from a 328?? or even a 528 fit?thanks

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump:jump anyone help here?:confused

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
according to realoem for a 328i it has to be a 328i auto box

Reactions: jjbbuzz

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Best bet is to get the engine and box together, make sure you get both ecus (one engine, one autobox) the EWS box and a key chip.
Grab the clocks whilst you are in there too, and at least the cat section of the exhaust, you may be able to pick up a fancy back box to finish it off.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
And you will need to replace the front shocks from a 6 cylinder car aswell

Reactions: jjbbuzz

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And you will need to replace the front shocks from a 6 cylinder car aswell
just the front shocks? not ok to keep the front off mine on for a while,(cars not moving really)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best bet is to get the engine and box together, make sure you get both ecus (one engine, one autobox) the EWS box and a key chip.
Grab the clocks whilst you are in there too, and at least the cat section of the exhaust, you may be able to pick up a fancy back box to finish it off.
i have the clocks from another car,is that a problem? he had already sold the clocks..hmmm so onnly the cat section is different?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The back box might be different, I'm not sure straight off, but it seems a bit of a shame to buy a second hand normal exhaust, when you might be able to pick up something a bit better.

You don't need the exact clocks from the car, but something from the same number of cylinders.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone no about the diff? can i use the same one? some say yes and some say no..:confused

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll have a small case, high ratio diff.
It'll be slightly weaker, but give you faster acceleration.
slightly weaker? so what are the pro's and cons of keeping the 318is one? is it worth getting 328 diff then? thanks mate
;)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
when you wsap a diff over, does it have to be auto one, or they interchangeable?you seem to no a fair bit, so can ya answer these for me. propshaft,will that have to be changed?can 328i run from a 318is one?and all i need for now is from the cat to engine exhaust then?what part do i need to put an auto gearbox onto the manual engine?apart from ecu..some kinda plate? thanks alot.;)

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Have you got an M44 or an M42 engine? Yours is currently an auto?

An auto diff on a 328 is a 3.07 ratio.
I'm pretty sure the autobox won't mind, I haven't heard of any mentions of it being a problem.

A standard 328 manual would have a 2.93 diff (lower numbers are better economy, slower acceleration)

A 318iS auto diff is a 4.44, and a 318iS manual is a 3.38.

Your current prop is 1324mm long. The 328 auto one is 1345mm so it will most likel need changing too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts