BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving my 318i and pulled up at a junction when it cut out. It was difficult to restart and once it was running again it would almost cut out when I tried to set off. I managed to get it home. It is difficult to start and needs some throttle to get going. It idles badly like it isn't running on all 4 cylinders and cuts out after a few moments. It seems to run fine at higher RPMs.

Does anybody have any likely pointers? It had a basic engine service last December after I'd just bought it including new spark plugs. The engine is the 1.8 M43 SOHC petrol engine. My first thoughts are the ignition.

EDIT: After doing some Googling, it could be a clogged idle control valve or throttle body. Can anybody confirm this? The car has just over 94K miles on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally got round to investigating the problem. The first thing I went for was the idle control valve. My 318i has the M43 engine and the idle control valve is situated right under the top half of the inlet manifold. When I pulled off the entire intake assembly (the bit from the MAF to the throttle body) I found the cause of the problem. The hose from the intake assembly to the idle control valve had split at one end. As a "proof of concept", I wrapped some electrical tape round the end of the hose where the split was, put everything back together and lo and behold, the car idled perfectly. This is not a permanent fix and I will order a new part (part number 13411247641) from my local dealer. This part is also fitted to the M42 engine on other E36 models and the E34 518i which has the M43 engine.

Reactions: BB.BMW

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've ordered the part from my local dealer (JCT600 in Bradford) costing me £7.50

Reactions: BB.BMW
1 - 3 of 3 Posts