BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so now my car has finally passed emissions, and gotten it's MOT & Tax. I've decided invest some time in correcting the PO's modifications. I'm trying to get back to a more OEM look, leaving the deleted trim, but that's about it. Here's my vision for her. It still has the v2's and there's quite a bit of room in either direction so any views on stance would be appreciated, as she's about to be taken for some time on a lift for new control arms and drop links etc. would like to get some input on ride height. Be gentle :silly Thanks for looking:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Your garage looks nice and big! :D

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
The car will look swish on those rims :thumbsup

Personal opinion on "stance" as much as i hate that word! is descent quality shocks like biltein and eibach springs unless you want to go low low.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for the encouragement everyone. I'll get a set on order once I get the right fitment sorted out. I think I'm going to go for the 18"s because I'm sure they'll fit and I should get a bit lower. As for the garage it's a 2 car and It's lovely:D:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Will look good, although if you want that wheel-arch gap that you've photoshopped, the car will be sitting a LOT lower to the ground.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I would update with some pics of the job I'm currently doing. Replacing both Control Arms. I've gotten everything loose but, I can't get the ball joints connected to the hub to come free on both sides. They're completely stuck on, I tried a jaw-style ball joint seperator.. But it didn't work. So i've sent off for a fork style one. Hopefully that will work. Oh yeah, I've re-adjusted the coilovers, so once I'm back on the road I should be low as hell. For now though she'll be sitting on jack stands for 3-4 days until that separator gets here :(

The workspace :)

Edit: sorry about the pic quality, I'll remember to use my camera next time :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i hate doing LCA'S done my pas side, had the same problems as you. in the end i was hitting it was a good hammer (shock) it and it will drop out.

ive still gota do my drivers side but the nut is rounded/ keeps sliping under my shock so i cant do it :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i hate doing LCA'S done my pas side, had the same problems as you. in the end i was hitting it was a good hammer (shock) it and it will drop out.

ive still gota do my drivers side but the nut is rounded/ keeps sliping under my shock so i cant do it :(
How long did you have to hammer it?? I've wailed on that control arm like crazy and it won't even budge. I nearly rounded the nut off under that shock, but I calmed down just in time ;) I don't really want to wait 3 days for the fork to arrive, if you could point me in the right direction with that hammer I might give it ago tomorrow. Where abouts where you hitting it?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
hit it near the ball joints, and then try and hit it from the top down.
needs a good hammer but it will drop.
it took me 15mins of going nuts at it, then on the last hit i tap'd it lol and it fell of :/

also works faster with two hammers one hitting one side one on the other side.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okies, I'll give that a shot in the morning. I've got a propane torch, do you think it would be worth heating it up first?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, Very chuffed with myself. Finally got the drivers side control arm off with the help of a local mech that put me to shame(like half my size and 3 whacks it was off) Turns out you're supposed to hit the knuckle of the HUB not the control arm itself. Armed with this info the pass side came off in a few swings. Got everything replaced(arms, tie roads, and drop links) and lowered the coilovers a bit more(nearly to the bottom of the threads now). With the new front end, I decided to take it for a little test drive, and flew round some nice roman roads. The car handles like a dream, and with the new o2 sensor it goes like a rocket. I'm so pleased. I'll take some pics of the new ride height tomorrow, it's just a bit lower than a bic lighter all the way around. I went through a tiny little village and just about everyone was staring at my car. I love my bmw! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car looks good mate, put a new o2 sensor in mine the other day the pick up is amazing now, never knew a 1.8i could "fly" lol :thumbsup
lol thanks very much mate, yeah the new o2 sensor makes such a huge difference in acceleration and top speed :thumbsup. It's pretty dangerous going fast over here though with the roads being so small. Going from 12 lane highways to glorified bike lanes takes some getting use to, I always think I'm going to hit mirrors with the oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Begs the question, why are you over here if you like cars?
That's like not wanting to be sexually abused and them becoming a choir boy.

Good work though, still jealous of your workspace.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts