BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bmw 318i convertible 1995 160k miles 1.8 auto. Iv noticed when the car is ticking over there is a rattling noise, its not in a set pattern and its not a nocking sound .It also goes totally when its at any revs above tick over.

Iv asked a few people and they all say its common cam chain rattle, being old engine and not being a belt. What i want to know is. 1 will it most likely be that thats rattling, 2 what can i do to stop it and whats involved costs work time etc...

Any info would be a big help the noise is not that bad but can be annoying when the roofs down in traffic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the problem

Hello iv now found out its the belt that runs the power steering/waterpump and everything. When at low revs it seems to sort of rattle/shake, now and again but mostly when you use the power steering it makes it rattle like mad. Also the power steering in the morning and sometimes and at full lock it makes a skweeking/ belt slipping noise. The belt seems to be in good condition and is nice and tight, what i want to know is how can i sort the power steering pump out, it seems as tho its struggling to do its job so taking more power from the belt and making the car go up and down revs making the belt rattle.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The noise could just be the belt tensioner/idler. They make a stange rattle or chattering type noise when the bearings are worn in them. Worse when cold & under load, i.e using power steering etc. Take the belt off & give the pulley a spin it should be smooth & have no play. Even the slightest noise or roughness when turning it can be amplified a huge amount when under tension from a belt.
My old Peugeot 306 had exaclty the same symptoms, squeeking, rattling, ticking. Really bad on a cold damp day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pic i have one with a built in dipstick. Is there any was of seeing if the liquid is no good and also whats involved in changing the belt tentioner what am i looking for thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The noise could just be the belt tensioner/idler. They make a stange rattle or chattering type noise when the bearings are worn in them. Worse when cold & under load, i.e using power steering etc. Take the belt off & give the pulley a spin it should be smooth & have no play. Even the slightest noise or roughness when turning it can be amplified a huge amount when under tension from a belt.
My old Peugeot 306 had exaclty the same symptoms, squeeking, rattling, ticking. Really bad on a cold damp day.
Just want to ask my belt when making the noise atually shakes you can see it did yours do that also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.