BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Bimmer 316 has ABS, however when I was driving over some snow today, I pushed the brake pedal; not exceptionally hard, and the wheels locked up!

I tried it again deliberately to see if it happened again, and it did!

The ABS light illuminates when the ignition is turned on, and goes out when the engine is started, but it doesn't work!

Surely all 4 sensors couldn't have broken at the same time!?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
If all 4 wheels lock up, then as far as the ABS is concerned, the car is "stood still" !

Although, saying that, I've never managed to actually lockup all 4 wheels at once even on snow.

Maybe try again, but not go so hard on the pedal ?

Failing that, I would probably get the codes read.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well to be honest, if it is a serious problem, I don't mind leaving it. Most of my cars don't have ABS anyway, it is just the 523 that has it.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
If the light is coming on, then going off again when you turn the ignition on, then I doubt it's going to be anything serious.

But if the car has ABS, why not make sure it's working ? It might just help you out when you need it most !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the car out again, on a wet road, sped up to 70MPH, slammed on the brakes and as I expected the speedo needle jumped to 0MPH, but after a split second it jumped up again, and the ABS started working!

It seems the surface I was driving on earlier was too slippy for the ABS to be able to do anything.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
So that goes back to my first post, where I said if all 4 wheels lock up at the same time, then as far as the ABS is concerned, the car is at a "stand still" !

Atleast it's one less thing to worry about :thumbsup

·
Registered
528 Posts
True what you say about "might need it one day" I'v been super lucky with my ABS. I started working after having 3 months off the day before the MOT then stopped working as I drove through the gates after the MOT, read the codes and it had a valve block failure, so I put fixing it on the laterbase, then after 6months of not working, it started to work again 30 minutes before I hit some black ice at 60mph and the arse end came round in an instant but I corrected it and as it straightened up I could sense that it was going to turn into a tank slapper so and remembered that the ABS light had gone out I stood on the middle pedal and it was amazing, could hear which wheels it was braking and kept it straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts